Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pc died  (Read 2012 times)

cybermat

pc died
« on: November 12, 2006, 08:27:38 AM »
My daughter's pc was switched off but the optical mouse and web cam were flashing then it wouldn't switch on. I checked power lead etc and have now bought new power supply that when plugged into mains the fan comes on (both on power supply and motherboard) but nothing else. I am I right in thinking I now need to buy a new motherboard?
Alternatively we have an older pc, is it possible to just switch or piggy back the hard drives, as there are programs on the newer one that I don't have any more + hassle of settingit all back up again.
thanks

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: pc died
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 08:29:51 AM »
What happened before it wouldn't turn on?  You say you turned it off, did you shut it down properly or not?  Any past problems?

cybermat

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 08:36:18 AM »
I am presuming it was shut down properly as she usually does it ok. She came home and wanted to play a free cd from her dad and when she went to the pc the web cam and mouse were both flashing. she then tried to turn it on with the power switch and nothing happened, the flashing had stopped by then. there hadn't been any power cuts or anything and the pc was working fine the last time it was used about a week before.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 11:00:48 AM »
More info on the machine would be helpful
Make/model if shop bought, if custom built or you don't know then hardware specs would be useful
Also the OS, any previous problems, etc
I would say download Everest and post a report but if it won't boot then that obviously won't work