Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Comp freezing/shutting down all the time  (Read 4733 times)

windmill

Comp freezing/shutting down all the time
« on: November 26, 2006, 06:01:21 AM »
Hiya there, thanks for reading this post of mine. :)

For two days now, my computer has decided to either shut itself down, or just freeze untill I shut it down meself. Most of the time I get past the welcome screen, and manage to keep it running for a good 2 minutes or so before this happens. Sometimes it just shuts down when that Windows logo loading thingy appears.

I haven't installed any new hardware or software recently (except for some games). I've had problems with the sound card, but when taking it out, the computer still acts the same. I also know I've had some problems with the cpu overheating before, so I tried putting a 9" 35W fan by it, with no difference; maybe the damage is already done?

I've tried running defrags and some memory/cpu tests, but the comp has shut down before they have had a chance to finish.

To be honest, I have no idea what to do. Buying a new motherboard + cpu, and then finding out that isn't the problem is something I'm not willing to risk. Maybe a new power supply? But if the power supply is the problem, would the computer really freeze instead of shutting down/rebooting?

All help is appreciated. Thanks! :)

// Dan
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 06:05:07 AM by windmill »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Comp freezing/rshutting down all the time
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 06:03:50 AM »
Hello, and welcome to Computerhope, Dan
Is this a self-built computer?  If so, can you provide the specs for us?
If not, can you provide the make and model?
Can you boot into Safe Mode?

windmill

Re: Comp freezing/shutting down all the time
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 06:10:45 AM »
Oh yes of course, knew I'd forgotten something!

It is a Fujitsu Siemens SCALEO 600ix EPC
Intel P4 3.0 GHz
1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600-4

Anything else ye need to know?

I haven't really tried booting into Safe Mode, since I don't quite know how to do it on that computer (boot menu only appears every 5th reboot or so). :-[

Thanks!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 06:12:27 AM »
That's fine, more info is always helpful especially when given in one go like that
To get into safe mode, tap the F8 key when booting
Oh yes, which version of Windows is this?  And is it legit/genuine?

windmill

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 06:23:18 AM »
I booted into Safe Mode, and it's still going strong after a few minutes. :)

I'm using Windows XP Pro, but it isn't genuine (recovery CD broken, and needed the comp to work).
Getting a new real copy in a week or so.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 06:30:46 AM »
So did you do anything before the problem started?
Try a repair installation of Windows if you have the CD, but you really need a genuine copy

windmill

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 06:50:48 AM »
As a matter of fact, I just looked through me computer box and found a recovery CD which seems intact. Will try and reinstall Windows as soon as I've copied some important files. :)

And I don't recall doing anything special when it happened... Me games had some weird lags, so I removed the plastic tube with the fan it it, and hoovered that metal thing (whatever you call it) above the cpu, since it was clogged with dust. Then everything worked fine. After three days or so, the computer started freezing, followed by shut-downs and reboots the day after.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 06:54:57 AM »
A recovery CD won't work as well as a real XP CD, it will restore it to factory settings
That is one option
The repair install I was talking about reinstalls Windows but doesn't overwrite your files (I think), there are instructions available for it on Microsoft's site, someone posted a link on here somewhere....

Edit: I found the link - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 06:56:36 AM by Calum »

windmill

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 07:02:58 AM »
Thanks, will try and do that! :)

Question though: What is it that allows my computer to run in safe mode but not in normal? What is it that safe mode has/doesn't have?
  And does this mean it is a software and not a hardware problem?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 07:05:59 AM »
It's a case of what safe mode doesn't have that means it usually works even when Windows fails to work
Safe mode doesn't load any of your startup items and only loads basic drivers and services, etc
It may point to a software problem, or equally a hardware problem - it may be a startup item or service or program causing the issue, which isn't loaded in Safe Mode, or it may be a device driver which isn't loaded in Safe Mode

windmill

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 07:15:49 AM »
Oh right. Think I understand now, thanks.

But what will happen when I use the recovery cd? You say it will restore it to factory settings, what exactly does that mean? And does it still work after serveral reformats of the disks?

Right now I do not have a Win XP CD to use, which severely limits my options. :P

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 07:20:26 AM »
The recovery CD will reload all the software that came installed with the machine, remove the rest of the software, reset your settings, and basically restore it to how it was when it came out of the factory (factory settings)
I'm pretty sure it will work after reformats
You say you're getting a real XP CD soon, I'd wait until you get that and repair install or format and reinstall completely....if you can't wait and you have your data backed up, try the recovery CD, you can always reinstall with the XP CD when you get it if the recovery CD doesn't help

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 07:23:23 AM »
A repair install leaves all your programs;docs and settings etc. intact and only repairs the XP install...
A clean install wipes the drive and all data on it including what's listed above...

My advice get Acronis True Image and start to develop and use a backup routine. Best deal right now is @ newegg.com around 25 bucks including shipping...
(Thanx GX1_Man ! ! )

Also when you do your next housekeeping inside the case do NOT use a hoover...vaccuums develop a ton of static discharge and you run the risk of frying one or all your components.

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

windmill

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 07:30:25 AM »
Hehe, will try not hoovering in there again. Cheers patio. :)

I'll try using the recovery CD, and if that doesn't work, will try reinstalling XP completely. I keep most of me files and documents on one disk, and Windows and the programs on another, so that shouldn't be a big problem.

Thanks a lot!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 07:40:48 AM »
No problem (for whatever help I could provide), hope it goes OK for you