Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no display on monitor, really confused.  (Read 4302 times)

lordsofchaos0000

no display on monitor, really confused.
« on: November 28, 2006, 08:04:58 PM »
Ok, so one day, I go afk from my computer to come back and find it off. It wont start up, so I figure my power source is blown. So I replace my power supply.  Now, my computer will start, but I get zero display on my moniter. When I have the moniter hooked up to another comp it works fine, but when I plug it into my computer the *check signal* screen goes black and the LED (that was green) goes orange. I also do not get any of the beeps at bios startup, my computer just starts up, no real sound, no display, fans working fine. Next I tried checking the RAM, hard drive, and video card; nothing changes, same kinda startup.  Ive looked around on "professional troubleshooting web charts" and stuff like that. Reading that makes me think its my motherboard, which really sucks Because im not great with knowing hardware compadibilty, and my computer is a custom built.  Nothing really looks "fried", and im super stumped, because I have no other ideas and have no idea how to test if its the mother board.  any help is GREATLY GREATLY appreciated..

-Joey

only_lonely

Intermediate
    Re: no display on monitor, really confused.
    « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:22:06 PM »
    Check the BIOS. Or it may be your RAM problem.
    Change another RAm at your DIMM slot.

Try to hit F2, or Del or F1 when system power on. YOu can hear the buzzer sound,if u hitting it non-stop.

It seems your motherboard have enough power to on it (fan is spinning).
    Or if u got PCI slot or AGP, just plug another video card to test the video.

pcfool

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:50:46 PM »
      last sunday i go to repair my friends pc, same thing like you, when start up, there is no beep,  monitor led orange, totally nothing on screen., what happen to my friends pc is  the motherboard's dead.
      ok this is the way you can try,(i assume you already test your graphic card at other pc. and it's ok)
      1-->take out the graphic card, re seating it back to the slot. power up, if still no display. continue next step.

2-->disconnect all the cable which connected to your motherboard.
         leave only the power supply, disconnect the IDE/SATA, take out the sound card/LAN card. leave only 1 piece of RAM.
      that mean your motherboard only have power supply , 1 piece of RAM, graphic card and procesor and cpu fan. off couse keyboard n mouse must connected. other disconnect it even hard drive.

3-->power up your pc. if no display. swap the RAM to other RAM slot. then power up again.

4-->after u try every slot, change another piece RAM if u have more than 1 pcs RAM(may b u just unlucky pick a faulty RAM on 1st round)do the step 3 again.

if after u try step 3 n 4. if result still no. there's high posibility your motherboard problem.

;D

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 08:58:20 AM »
      Try a known working vid card in there before you give up on that motherboard.

Test each stick of RAM with MemTest.

What type PSU did you put in there ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 06:46:34 PM »
      Things that are fried do not necessarily "look fried".

I am with Patio on the power supply. I suspect a cheap Chinese made piece of rubbish is at the heart of this system. In this case, you do get exactly what you pay for.

We are assuming it is assembled correctly and the case is not shortin the motherboard. Are you POSITIVE it is hooked up right?

lordsofchaos0000

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 12:02:57 AM »
      im not a nub with comps, but im no pro either. As far as I know its hooked up fine. I know how to replace power supplies easily, and connect the HDs n stuff. As for shorting the Mobo, as far as I can tell its fine, there are 4 standoff screws and a peice of some kinda pink foam inbetween the mobo and case. Im really thinkin its the MB gone bad.. which really bums me out, becasue I have to get a new processer and ram most likely too right?

As for power supplies, it had a 425w(not sure what brand), but now all I have to work with is a 350w(a TigerPro brand, my friend had). Im not really sure if maybe a 75w difference would cause there to be no display or not.

..?

lordsofchaos0000

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 12:34:04 AM »
      I have 3 sticks of ram 266mhz, 2 sticks of 256k and one of 512k(mobo has 2 slots)
      When I have one of the 256 sticks in, it gives me a post of 1 double beep, then 8 short beeps.

beep-beep.  beep(x8)

and it says here

8 short        Display memory Read/Write test failure

but its only when I have a certin one in a certin slot.. im stumped.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 03:15:06 AM »
      Did all of this start AFTER the RAM upgrade? If so, it is either bad (possible) or incorrect RAM. Please post your computer or motherboard make/model and exactly what you got. The more details the better about your hardware, age of components, etc.

If possible, put the original (known working) RAM in the machine and reboot. Let's remove some of the variables. If that doesn't start, remove the CMOS battery for a minute and reinstall.

A test from the free RAM checker at www.memtest86.com would be helpful. Test each RAM one at a time if the machine gets so far as to boot.

Any recent electrical storms in your area?

lordsofchaos0000

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 11:44:03 AM »
      the ram upgrade was a long time ago, and the machine had worked at least a year with the ram in it. There also hasnt been any electrical storms.  Ive also tried all the known working ram, 3 diff sticks, as I was talking about before.  I have also tried removing the battery (the circle battery on the mobo right?) I dont really think  its the ram, altough im not positive.

Also, I myself, didnt build this PC. My friends dad built it a while back and I bought it from him. So, im not even sure what kinda mobo it is

well, on this comp it has a geforce 2 vid card, pentium 2 processor, 40gig HD, 2 266mhz of 256k ram, and one 266mhz of 512k ram. and the motherboard, which I dont have any manual for, and cannot see a name anywhere.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 11:31:01 AM »
      Again, test the RAM...

lordsofchaos0000

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 12:04:54 PM »
      theres no real way to "test" the ram, the computer dosnt even go to bios... ive tried all the ram in different slots, one at a time and all that, and the only thing that changed was that when I have a certin ram in a certin slot, it ives me the 8 beeps, like I said eariler.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 12:31:11 PM »

lordsofchaos0000

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 03:22:13 PM »
      I have, if you look 5 posts above, you will notice.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 03:37:17 PM »
      According to that it is the "display" memory which would mean the memory on the vid card...

lordsofchaos0000

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 07:22:32 PM »
      I looked it up, and it says either the vid card OR the motherboard.. and its not the vid card...