Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power light on but nothing else  (Read 2044 times)

ddw

Power light on but nothing else
« on: November 30, 2006, 08:08:08 PM »
I have an E-machines T2642 2.6 Ghz Intel Celeron processor, RAM 256mb PC2100 DDR, ATA/IDE hard drive.  

Here is what has happened.  We had an electrical storm but the computer was plugged into an APC battery backup.  The computer stopped working.  The power light would start blinking on and off but the computer would not boot up and there was no whirring of fans or the hard drive.  Eventually the light would not even come on.  I thought it may be the hard drive so I bought another one and nothing changed except the power light will stay on when the computer is plugged in.  So I thought it may be the power supply.  Bought it and replaced it.  Nothing different.  So now I am toying with replacing the motherboard.  But I have never done this and am wondering if it could be something different and if I may be getting in over my head.  Also considering that a new desktop costs less than $500 and I don't do a lot of heavy processing so I do not need high end graphics cards or anything like that.  The money I have spent so far is $50 for the hard drive and $20 for a power supply.  Any help would be appreciated.

GX1_Man

Re: Power light on but nothing else
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 08:19:25 PM »
eMachines have notoriously poor power supplies that often take out a motherboard or other components when they fail. Without replacing things there is little else to do with those symptoms. Luckily that hard drive can be used in another machine, and a $20 power supply is questionable at best. If you get another motherboard, then your restore CD may not work, etc.

I would go for another brand, but that's just me.

ddw

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 09:12:38 PM »
I have been leaning that way, replacing the machine.  It had been a good machine for over 3 years but I came to mainly use it as a backup to my laptop which I work off of much more often.  (Actually, just replaced the hard drive in it after it went out.)  And to top it off, I just noticed a new HP at office depot for $99 after rebates.  I will probably just give up trying to repair this one.  I don't really have to time to mess with it anyway.  Thanks for your help.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 02:59:35 AM »
You will also no doubt get more RAM, a new warranty and a happier experience. Good luck.

joker12

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 05:15:44 PM »
First of all, let me tell you that it is probably the MB. I would suggest that you take this system to a shop place where it can be diagnosed(bench tested). I am not peddling shops but you could get way deep into your pockets by parts changing. Parts swapping is okay if there is no other way, but not very cost effective. If you do end up swapping out the MB, be sure to get the same or equvilant so that you do not end up needing to swap the processor just to get the MB to work.

ddw

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 06:59:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I am just going to salvage some of the parts and sell on ebay.  With the price of new systems it just doesn't make much sense to repair this one.  It would be worth it for some of the gamers or heavy graphics people who have a machine that is pretty decked out but mine is not.  I use it mainly for business apps so basic machines are enough for me.  Thanks for your input.