Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with Motherboard?  (Read 1751 times)

SiRusty

Problem with Motherboard?
« on: December 01, 2006, 06:27:04 PM »
Ok, here's a rundown of what happened. My main computer (I'm typing this from my laptop), decided it doesn't want to work.

Two months ago I built one, with the following components:

Gigabyte - GA-965P-DS3 motherboard
Intel E6300 cpu (not overclocked) with Zalman Heatsink
Two sticks of Patriot memory - 512mb each
Diamond - X1600 Pro 512mb graphics card (ATI)
500GB Western Digital SATA hardrive
and a cdr and dvd drive

Computer working fine yesterday, CPU had been running at about 26-30 deg last time I checked a few weeks ago. Today the computer turns and I get nothing on the monitor. No beeps, no post.

I reset the CMOS as per the manual and when I start the computer up again, the computer starts up and turns off after a few seconds, this cycle will repeat ad infinitum if I do not kill the power in back or hold the button in front for ten seconds (or so). Still get no post or any beeps. Tried different RAM, disconnected both the hard drive and the CD drives and still have the same problem.

I initially thought my CPU had died (don't see why it would) but now I think there is something wrong with the motherboard. Am I correct with my assumption? Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 06:27:26 PM by SiRusty »

SiRusty

Re: Problem with Motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 08:26:36 PM »
I got the computer to work again!

I took out everything but the CPU and when I turned the computer on, I got a series of rapid beeps. So I reconnected everything and heard the familiar beep. It posted asking me to press F1 to continue as the CMOS was reset. XP loaded normally.

So I don't know what was wrong, but it works now. Hopefully, I won't run into the same problem again tomorrow  :-/ Cuz I sure don't want to have to do what I just did every time I want to turn the computer on. Sometimes I can swear that there are stubborn little demons in there or something... Especially when the computer just doesn't want to work  ;)

linuxlover

Hopeful
  • That's not Data!
    Re: Problem with Motherboard?
    « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 10:23:51 PM »
    Weird...
    Maybe it's the mobo power connector. Unless the little green light went on...
    System Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    1024MB DDR400
    GeForce 7600GS
    160GB SATA II
    500-watt PSU
    Techforumz.tk