Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Harddrive issues.  omg I have to fix this.  (Read 2256 times)

tracyd

Harddrive issues.  omg I have to fix this.
« on: December 01, 2006, 08:45:46 PM »
 :'(

I did something really dumb and please please tell me I dont have to learn my lesson on this particular instance.

I have a WHOLE BUNCH of stuff on my hardrive on Computer #1.  A fortune worth of mp3 and more importantly...  about 5 years worth of digital pictures.   Some are backed up,  most are not.

I was trying to get them onto another hard drive (Computer #2), (as a backup) since I've been having issues with that computer (#1).  My cd-rom on  computer #1 has failed, and I couldn't get it to work to back up all my pics.  

Well, long story shorter...  I didn't have a cord that would connect my computers so I thought to myself... well hey.. I've swapped hardrives before... added them.. perhaps I could just put #1's hardrive in computer #2, and then it'd be easy to copy everything from #1 to #2.

Now it's all hosed.  

I got computer #2 back up and running by doing a windows repair. How can I possibly get #1 going again?  OMG I HAVE TO DO IT.  I'm going to try putting in the windows disc right now, and try to repair it... but currently here is what is happening....

I turn it on... it goes to  the energy star screen... says master disk, slave disk stuff.. then says:  boot from cd: failure  boot from cd: failure

then the dreaded...   A disk read error occured.  Press cntrl-alt-del to restart.

HELP PLEASE!

tracyd

Re: Harddrive issues.  omg I have to fix this.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 09:36:25 PM »
Ok .. well not that anyone is actually reading this.. but I got my computer running again, after running the windows disc and repairing the installation/hardware configuration.  

I think I'll grab my external hard drive from work and copy those pics asap!!!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 09:41:14 PM »
    tracyd...... welcome to Computer Hope .
    You would be surprised at who reads these ..... lol
    Glad to hear you have things under control.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

mcf747

Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 02:04:41 AM »
      Hey Im reading too. I have to say I got a 250 HDD A month and a half ago, and I am so pised I just saw a sale last week for a 500 gig for the same price. The 250 is pasts it return policy, but ooo whel Il use my 250 untill I out growit then I go biger.

P.S. love the story.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 02:10:45 AM »
      tracyd:You gave everyone a whole 51 minutes to find and read your post.

Patience is a virtue. ;D but, glad you got it figured out.
      « Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 02:13:42 AM by street1 »
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

tracyd

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 01:32:19 PM »
      I know street1, not saying they should've.  Patience is a virtue.. but I'm not very virtuous darnit!! lol

I just thought I'd update my cry for help.. I mean my post..  since in those 51 minutes I managed to limp my way through it and somehow, amazingly, I didn't destroy anything.  I was actually near to tears at one point thinking I had lost 5 years worth of pictures.  I was a little desperate, if you will.  

Just felt kinda stupid...since noone had responded...and I was sorta... talking to myself.. and.. well.. people have been burned at the stake for that....

God what a way to spend my Friday night.  And all day today.. switching discs every now and then... *sigh*  But hey.. at least I have my pictures!!     ;D  

I'm awful at backing stuff up.  I really need to keep up with that.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 01:33:35 PM by tracyd »

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 01:45:11 PM »
      Yes, all hard drives die eventually (even portable ones!) and it is NOT a safe place to store the only copy of irreplaceable files. A good backup strategy and a hard drive as well as an optical disc backup is the way to go. If you have a third copy stored off site that is the ultimate protection.  ;)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Harddrive issues.  omg I have to fix this
      « Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 02:24:47 PM »
      A good backup strategy followed up regularly is a great habit to get into...

Hope your close call reinforces this.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "