Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New computer Trouble  (Read 2510 times)

ihcati

New computer Trouble
« on: December 02, 2006, 04:20:51 AM »
SPECS:
Motherboard: ABIT AW8D Socket T
RAM: Patriot Signature series 2GB DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel (2x 1 gig)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Contoe 2.4 GHZ
Thermaltake PSU 550w
Geforce 7900 GT 256 MB PCI Express x16
Seagate 120G hard drive, 500g Western digital HDD (Both SATA)

The Problem: First i plugged everything in and went to power it up, the BIOS shows a 9.0 which said Post passed and bios is ready to take over However the monitor light just stays amber.
Also my keyboard lights do not flash when i power the computer on.

Next I stripped everything down (just the CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and Video card and the same thing happened. The FANS light up and turn on no beeps from the motherboard but the monitor light stays amber. All of the components of the computer are brand new. I know its not the monitor becuase i used it on another computer. What do you think could be wrong?

Do you think that the Video card is not working

GX1_Man

Re: New computer Trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 05:37:24 AM »
Do you have another video card to test with? PCIe or older PCI would be OK for this exercise.

RAM: Patriot Signature series 2GB DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel (2x 1 gig)

What speed RAM is this?

By the way, your troubleshooting protocol was very good.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 05:42:36 AM by GX1_Man »

ihcati

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 06:06:19 AM »
Patriot Signature Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

im having a friend come over with another video card, my only other video card is agp so hes bringing one over to see if that is the case.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 06:11:04 AM »
Keep us posted. Sometimes things are that simple.  ;)

ihcati

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 12:10:50 AM »
things arn't simple i guess. my friend brough some stuff over and we put everything with the exeption of the motherboard and the processor in another computer and it worked, meaning it has to be either the motherboard or the processor. (We also switched out power supplies and it wasn't the power supply. We decided that it was the motherboard so i returned it and got a new one. But i hooked my new one up and it did the same thing. what else could this problem be due to? the only thing i havn't seen working in action is the CPU, unless the second motherboard i got did not work either

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 05:13:43 AM »
A small computer shop could test the CPU for a minimal charge. The chance of two dud motherboards is slim. Are you sure it is mounted correctly and not shorting out on the case?

It sounds like the CPU is the next suspect.

janmcl

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 11:29:37 PM »
Are you sure the processor works with the motherboard that you have? I went to the Abit web site and according to the information about your motherboard it will not take a Core2Duo. Go to abit-usa.com and read the spec's for your motherboard, then also click on processor support and check out the core2duo's. it tells you what Abit mb's will support a core duo.
and your mb is not listed under the core duo2's.
Hope this helps.

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 12:08:03 AM »
    I also checked out the motherboard and CPU compatibility, and it says your motherboard is a socket LGA775 with intel support, and the E6600 Conroe cpu is a socket LGA775, also an intel, roughly the equivalent of a pentium 4. The motherboard should support it. But the other problem could be that you haven't mounted the motherboard properly to the case (the copper/gold coloured stands need to be screwed into the case, and the motherboard screwed to these). I had someone who didn't mount it properly, and shorted out part of the motherboard. It was nearly impossible to see, but would only go about 3 seconds into installation before shutting down because it shorted out the cpu fan power. Hope this helped.