Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Processor Question  (Read 2163 times)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
    Processor Question
    « on: December 02, 2006, 07:39:57 AM »
    In the please read this first it says, "Before posting your computer question or misc." so i think this kind of question is allowed here...

So i'm looking at processors obviously, and i saw intels Core 2 duo processors, but i couldn't figure out exactly how they're better than say intels Pentium processor extreme edition. I don't know a whole lot about computers so maybe it's really obvious to someone else.

Could someone help me out here? thanks

GX1_Man

Re: Processor Question
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 11:08:11 AM »

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 04:16:40 PM »
      Well, i googled for a little while, and everything says it runs faster.
      As i said, i don't know as much about computers as i'd like to though, how is Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 at 2.93GHz faster than Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 965 at 3.73GHz. Obviously i'm going by the GHz

caddy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 04:30:41 PM »
      well your going to have 2 cores... running at 2.93 ghz each!!!!! its a multi-tasking beast! with the intel pentium extreme its only running on one core running at 3.73 ghz. think of the core 2 as a big open highway and traffic runs REALLY smooth. and the single core as a doorway that 100 people are trying to get through it at the same time.....

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 07:19:24 PM »
        Oh  :-P, there's an obvious answer for you. I didn't think of that because i figured they would have put it down differently. Oh well, tyvm

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 10:40:04 PM »
        Benchmark tests are a great way to answer this conundrom...good ones can be found at Tom's Hardware.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "