Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sudden loss of Disk Space  (Read 6873 times)

elcaro

Sudden loss of Disk Space
« on: December 02, 2006, 08:22:03 PM »
Hi everyone,

I did a normal Chkdsk using XP's Error checking tool on one of my partitions, and after the scan, I suddenly lost all of the free disk space on that partition. I had 10 gig worth of free space before the Chkdsk and after that, only 4 Mb. During the scan, it said 'insufficient disk space to place bad clusters'.

I did the same on my other partition, which had about 45 gig worth of free space, and the same thing happened to that one, after the scan I only had about 2 gig left. And I got the same msg while doing the scan as well.

Can someone tell me what happened and how can I fix the problem?

Many thanks.

GX1_Man

Re: Sudden loss of Disk Space
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 08:32:26 PM »
You need to have 15% free disk space on the C drive if you expect Windows to function properly. Delete some stuff, run CCleaner and then try again.

What are you using for virus and spyware protection? Run your scans in safe mode with system restore turned off. Then run the free scan at www.trendmicro.com

Then post back.

If the computer is not clean then all bets are off. What prompted the chkdsk in the first place? WHat preceeded all of this?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 08:34:12 PM by GX1_Man »

elcaro

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 08:45:52 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply GX1_Man.

How do I run my scans in safe mode? I am using AVG free and Ad-aware.

I manually turned on Chkdsk just as a routine check. There was nothing wrong with the comp beforehand, except when I tried doing a defrag on one of my partitions, a windows shut down thingy popped up, with a timer. The partition was not the 2 where I lost my disk space. And when I ran the defrag on the other partitions everything was ok.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 08:55:12 PM »
Restart the computer and press F8 a few times BEFORE you see the Windows logo. To turn off system restore:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

If you don't you will just reinfect yourself.  ;)

elcaro

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 08:55:21 PM »
Also, I've cleared out some stuff and there is about 1% free space on my windows drive but it seems to be working ok. Before it was really sluggish, very laggy.

Sorry I'm abit green when it comes to comps, but how do I run CCleaner? Is that a program or does it come with XP.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 08:58:24 PM »
You need to get more disk space first! Empty the Recycle Bin and then run Disk Cleanup. Copy some files to the other drives - whatever it takes to get enough disk space.

CCleaner can be downloaded from www.ccleaner.com

When you install, uncheck the Install Yahoo toolbar option. (No one needs a toolbar add-on!)

elcaro

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 10:04:40 PM »
Right, I'll do that, although I don't think it's a virus problem.

I tried formatting the partition which had the initial loss of disk problem, and it got to about 26% before crashing to a blue screen with:

c000021a
unknown hard error

So I'm thinking there's a problem with my HD. Is there any way to check if my HD itself is stuffed?

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 04:09:54 AM »
Free diagnostics are available for download from the appropriate drive maker's web site. You didn't say what make drive is in there.

It could be a hard drive prblem, sothat is a good thing to check. You do not need Windows to check this with.

elcaro

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 07:05:02 AM »
WD1200JD-00GBB0

It's a Western Digital. I'll get the diagnostic tool now.

It's this one correct? Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 07:50:08 AM »
That is correct.

elcaro

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 11:11:53 PM »
I've ran the extended diagnostic, and about a tenth of the way through it stopped and said there were too many bad sectors... uh oh.

Does this mean there is something physically wrong with my HD, or can I fix it by a full format. There is an option with the diagnostic tool that will write all zeros in all the clusters.

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 04:00:13 AM »
I would not trust that drive at all. Back up your data if needed and replace the drive.

It may function in some capacity for a while but it should be considered unreliable.

elcaro

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 05:13:08 AM »
*censored*, just the thing I didn't want to hear.

If I am going to replace my HD, should I get a Seagate? I was talking to a friend who's comp savvy and he said rather bluntly WD is *censored* (unless I get a top of the range one) and I should get a Seagate, lol.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 06:14:48 AM »
All HDD manufacturers produce quality equipment and i usually stay away from the xxx vs. yyy discussions...each one has there horror stories as well as their die hard fans who insist they are the best.

I usually shop price and go from there but if you want extra peace of mind Seagate offers a 5 yr. warranty.

As long as you keep in mind that all HDD's eventually fail and practice a good backup regimen you should be fine...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 06:19:32 AM »
And Seagate's have a 5 year warranty vs. a 1 or 3 year from the other major players. (Hint: Read the box!) I think that is an important shopping factor. ;)