Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor/PC Problem  (Read 1931 times)

focussss

Monitor/PC Problem
« on: December 03, 2006, 03:23:01 AM »
I hope this is the right section to post this.
Anyway, this is my problem...

I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 Graphics card and I'm running windows XP.
My computer loads fine untill its about to load the desktop and then before it loads it my monitor goes on standby mode (the green light turns orange). When i restart it, the monitor remains the same. I then need to keep turnin the computer on and off untill it finally loads.

Extra Info:
I've tryed resoultion 800x600 and 1024x768. Doesn't change anything.
I'm using 75 as screen refresh rate

I have tryed changing the resolution and also updating my graphics card driver but i still have this annoying problem.

Does anyone have any idea's on how to fix it?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Monitor/PC Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 06:17:01 AM »
Can you boot in safemode?

Did you follow the Nvidia Install Hints? :-?

Driver Installation Hints:

"Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.

Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.

Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

focussss

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 06:19:56 AM »
Yes to all of the above :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 06:35:11 AM »
I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 Graphics card and I'm running windows XP.
My computer loads fine untill its about to load the desktop and then before it loads it my monitor goes on standby mode (the green light turns orange). When i restart it, the monitor remains the same. [highlight]I then need to keep turnin the computer on and off untill it finally loads.[/highlight]

This is not a good sign. What is the make and wattage of the power supply? That card is pretty old and sometimes components just fail. It is probably one or the other. That is an add-on card as opposed to being built into the motherboard? Do you have a spare video card to test with?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 06:40:49 AM »
focussss welcome to computerhope. :D

Do you have onboard video and this was an upgrade?

If so does this still happen with onboard video?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 06:54:24 AM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

focussss

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 08:37:28 PM »
I'm not sure what the make and wattage of the power supply is. I'll find out and post it up.

Also i dont have an onboard video...
My last graphics card was a geoforce 2. This was about a year ago though.
I think ive got it somewhere, ill have a look and replace it to see if this still happens.

Extra:
What I've noticed is that the windows sound that plays when the desktop is loaded does not play when the monitor turns off.
Also if i leave the computer on while the monitor is off for a few minutes when i shut it down and turn it back on it works.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 04:04:07 AM by focussss »

focussss

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 06:41:08 AM »
It was my graphics card. I swaped back to the one i had a year ago and works well now. Thanks everyone who helped!