Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: upgraded memory, now won't boot  (Read 3965 times)

New Leaf

upgraded memory, now won't boot
« on: September 27, 2004, 06:05:18 PM »
IBM, Pentium II, 300GL model.  

I added another DIMM, after being certain to buy the right kind.  The computer starts to boot up, but suddenly turns off.  I removed the new chip, but the same behavior continues.  Nothing shows on the screen.  Can't get to BIOS, because it never gets that far.  Won't boot from a floppy either (so I don't think it's the hard drive).  

It seems clear that the new memory was at fault, but what do I do next?

Worse yet -- it's my wife's computer!  Help!!

chade

Re: upgraded memory, now won't boot
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 10:14:44 PM »
Keep the memory out - reset the BIOS.  Will probably work unless something really nasty has happened.
Visit http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000235.htm for info on resetting the BIOS.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 04:48:22 AM »
Is the motherboard capable of using the amount of RAM you had installed?

Did you take the necessary precautions? As in removing static electricity from your hands before inserting the RAM stick.

New Leaf

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 07:08:28 AM »
To chade:  Thanks for that advice.  I'm at work now, but will try it as soon as I get home.  

To Raptor:  Yes, the motherboard supports the RAM.  It had only 32 Mb to start with.  I tried adding 128 Mb, for a total of 160.  It supports up to 256, according to the manual.  And yes, I was static-free when I put it in.

My fear, of course, is that some sort of memory mismatch caused more serious damage.  I'll try the advice so far and post the results, and in the meantime, if anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.  Thanks!

I really don't like apple

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 07:38:04 AM »
Oh man.... The wife's computer..... it would be best not to tell her that it messed up....... (when I was younger, I remember telling my mom that I had removed the sound card from her PC)..... yeah..... slapped

keith

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 09:38:35 AM »
I was considering ugrading my memory. How do you remove static...for future reference?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 09:47:17 AM »
Use special static free gloves. That is the best solution.

You can also place your hands against the computer casing (Metal plates) for sixty (60) seconds.

There are certain anti-static wrist bands avaible as well.

Help is on the way

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 09:48:13 AM »
First remove any charge that may be on your body...... (touch some metal or something that will take excess charge from you)

New Leaf

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 07:18:54 PM »
Thanks, everyone!  Clearing the BIOS, and using only the old ram, put everything back to normal.  

The instructions for this PC call for SDRAM in sizes of 16, 32, 64 or 128 MB, with a speed of 60 ns.  I was installing a 128.  I'm not sure what went wrong.  (Any ideas, anyone?)

In the meantime, thanks for the good advice.  Where would we be without this forum to keep us calm when things get tricky?  

Computer_Commando

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 12:15:02 PM »
...The instructions for this PC call for SDRAM in sizes of 16, 32, 64 or 128 MB, with a speed of 60 ns.  I was installing a 128.  I'm not sure what went wrong.  (Any ideas, anyone?)... 

Need more info, there are many different IBM 300GL's, Type 6xxx
Several types of SDRAM, PC66, PC100, PC133, EDO, non-EDO, etc.  Find your correct type here:  http://www.crucial.com/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 12:17:51 PM by Computer_Commando »