Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 1 second of power?  (Read 1965 times)

Rapid_Dissent

1 second of power?
« on: December 04, 2006, 10:15:37 PM »
Heyall! Got a bit of a situation with my PC.

About a month ago, I moved. After setting up the compy, I turned it on, and it seemed to only get a fraction of a second of power. I would push the power button for 10 sec to reset it, and when I pushed again, another >1 second burst. The fans would make half a revolution, and then nothing. I messed with it a bit, and after laying the compy on its side, it got power for ~5 sec. Rinse and repeat that for a while, and eventually it would get sustained power. There are 4 LED's on the mobo though, which seem to act as diagnostics. During the first boot of uninterrupted power, all 4 lights were red. Restart a few times and one or two would go green, a few more times, and they all went green, and the compy started running as though nothing was ever wrong.

Well, I had to move again the other day, and my worst fear has happened upon me. It's back to getting a fraction of a second of power, and then nothing. No matter which way I turned it, or how I reset the machine, it refuses to stay up. I'm not sure what the heck is going on.  

Doesn't SEEM to be the power supply, because after last time, it went a month solid. No lock-ups, no unexplainable resets, just normal healthy PC activity.

I suppose it COULD be a short, but I would've expected it to power down inexplicably in the past month, and I had moved it around slightly every here and there.

Can't be a lack of wattage, as it wouldn't act like this, and I've never added anything to draw more power.

I don't buy any of those ideas...

Possibly faulty memory that inexplicably works 100% of the time it's "on"...

Yes, the compy is old, so please refrain from dying of laughter as I list off the specs.

MSI K7T Turbo SE Mobo
Athalon (one of the earliest gens) @ 800mHz (OC'd to ~1gHz)
1.1GB PC133 RAM

Please help, this is exceedingly annoying.

(and yes, I intend to take the shotgun to it and make a big upgrade once tax time hits... PCI-E and DDR RAM, here I come... meantime I need this computer saved!   :-/)

GX1_Man

Re: 1 second of power?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 03:57:22 AM »
Nothing wrong with an older machine.  ;D

<-------------

How about removing and reinstalling all of the add on cards, making sure all of the internal plug in connections are secure, reseating the RAM and making sure all fans are turning? Of course a good dusting would be helpful as well with a can of compressed air.

What is the make and wattage of the power supply? You can look on the side of it while inside the case.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 09:43:43 AM by GX1_Man »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 08:50:33 AM »
My main suspect is the PSU...don't buy a cheap one you will soon wind up right back where you are.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Rapid_Dissent

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 10:32:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply, guys!

Reseated everything, including the power, as per your suggestion, and the dusting has been done, but the problem persists.

The PSU is a "Powerman" good for 300w.

Patio is likely to be correct on this one, but the red LED's from last month's fiasco still puzzle me  :-/

At any rate, I'll go hook up another PSU and see if that alleviates my problems.

Thanks again guys! Computer Hope is the best!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 11:05:07 PM »
I wouldn't let the LED's corn the issue...when there are no fluctuations in power they probably act normal as heck...when the PSU is being finicky well they do that other thing.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "