Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP!!! computer trouble =(  (Read 2081 times)

Nme

HELP!!! computer trouble =(
« on: December 05, 2006, 03:14:48 AM »
Ok..So for the last week I have been having the same problem with my computer. My computer has started to get jerky, Whenever i am on the internet, about every 10 seconds my mouse pointer will get jerky when i move it..or if im listening to music, the song will start to get choppy..the same when im watching a video..Mainly I notice it the most when I play Counterstrike online..The game will run smooth and then about every ten seconds it will stutter about 4 times..Ive done almost everything i can think of so far to find out whats wrong with my computer..Ive run various different Spyware,adware, and virus programs to fix it..but nothing has worked..Tonight I finally decided to do a full system recovery in hopes that it would fix the problem..but it did not..So i am forced to believe it is a problem with some hardware on the comp but i have no clue on how to find out which piece it could be..or if that is even the problem..IF YOU HAVE ANY CLUE ON WHATS WRONG PLEASE TELL ME!!!  :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

GX1_Man

Re: HELP!!! computer trouble =(
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 03:58:57 AM »
Anu clues on the components of the machine, how old, the make and wattage of the power supply, etc?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 04:13:32 AM »
I would start off by taking out all the add-on cards and cleaning the
slot connectors with a clean pencil eraser rubbing gently to remove
tarnish buildup.

Download and run Memtest.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Download and run the hard drive diagnostic
test from your hard drive manufacturer.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/diagnosticsoftware/tp/tophddiag.htm
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Nme

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 05:15:49 AM »
ok..
it has

Hp Pavillion
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+
2.08 Ghz
512 mb ram
Radeon 9800 Pro series
Samsung CD-R/RW SW-248F
Rosewill 250 watt power supply
Audigy 2 Sound Card
Custom Case

The computer itself is about 3 or 4 years old...but i have only had this problem for a week...

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 06:23:09 AM »
When did you add the video card, and what's up with the power supply? How old? 250w seems rather underpowered.

What happened prior to the problem? What virus/spywar eprotection is being used? How much free hard drive space?

Try the online scanner at www.trendmicro.com just for grins as well.

Nme

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 10:36:03 AM »
Oh well some buddies from my dads work said that it was overheating..and that i should clean it..so when i opened the case..there was dust everywhere..i gave it a clean and it worked..back to normal..appreciae all the help anyways =)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 03:17:43 PM »
That PSU is still suspect...expect to be purchasing one in the near future...

Don't buy the cheap ones ...you can see why.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "