Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pentium vs AMD vs Celeron  (Read 2651 times)

Cathy

Pentium vs AMD vs Celeron
« on: December 05, 2006, 03:34:28 AM »
Buying a computer for my mom, and will hook up optimum on line (for her internet access so there is no more dial up connection for her)  The minimum system requirement is a 166mhz pentium processor. Will a Celeron or AMD processor be equivalent to a pentium for this hook up ?? Thanks

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Pentium vs AMD vs Celeron
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 03:53:47 AM »
Exactly what do you have now for a processor?
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 07:33:33 PM »
please also be advised that it is recommended that you have at least 128mb ram when using broadband as you said "Buying a computer for my mom, and will hook up optimum on line (for her internet access so there is no more dial up connection for her)  The minimum system requirement is a 166mhz pentium processor". If using Windows XP you are barely able to run the OS so more memory would do the trick.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 09:31:26 PM »
Any of those will work. Broadband does not require a powerful porocessor for basic activity at a quick speed. Indeed the type of internet connection is MORE important than processor.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 10:10:15 PM »
    Any AMD Athlon or Sempron, or Pentium or Celeron should be sufficient. The Pentium 166 is so old and slow, you would need to go out of your way to get it.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 11:09:40 PM »
    Any of those will work. Broadband does not require a powerful porocessor for basic activity at a quick speed. Indeed the type of internet connection is MORE important than processor.

Agreed. There's some innaccurate hypothesis being thrown about lately...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 06:58:07 AM »
      Buying a computer for my mom, and will hook up optimum on line (for her internet access so there is no more dial up connection for her)  The minimum system requirement is a 166mhz pentium processor. Will a Celeron or AMD processor be equivalent to a pentium for this hook up ?? Thanks

If all u need a CPU for is online surfing and multi-tasking, choose a Celeron.
      Any Celeron will do if u require only a 166Mhz CPU. I suppose 333Mhz Celeron (of the same time, of course) would be abt the same as a 166Mhz Pentium 1. You can proably find a 2500Mhz+ Celeron for under 50$.
      That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

linuxlover

Hopeful
      • That's not Data!
        « Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 02:33:44 PM »
        Go for a sempron. There even cheaper than a celeron. Get about 256MB of RAM. Shouldn't be more than $200 total.
        System Specs:
        AMD Athlon 64 3200+
        1024MB DDR400
        GeForce 7600GS
        160GB SATA II
        500-watt PSU
        Techforumz.tk