Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow Installation of XP on DELL Optiplex GX 110  (Read 2151 times)

lino124

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Slow Installation of XP on DELL Optiplex GX 110
    « on: December 05, 2006, 08:49:28 AM »
    I have a Dell Optiplex GX110 PIII 40gb HD Excelstor, one 128 SDR and one 256 SDR. A CD Rom which i cant tell the make, but its like the one used on laptops.
    My problem is the following: The first time i tried to install Windows XP Pro Sp2 it took me 24hrs and the installtion dint even end, because there was the following error Drive got stuck in a Infinite Loop
    Vga64K Beginning dump of physical memory Physical memory dump complete
    By the way how do i solve this error?  i dont now if its possible to install this file while running the xp setup? I also searched the web for the error and discovered it had to do with display, so i decided to plung in a display adpter, but the PC could not recognize it. I tried installing Win 2000 but no succes it just hung. I installed Win98 sec edition it also took 24hrs but i didnt get any errors but the PC is so slow, I tried  to upgrade to win xp sp2 it tells me that its gonna take 108 to complete, well i waited until the next day only to find out that nothing happend it just got stuck. I dont think this is normal, i also tried changing the cd rooms to dvd room still no success, the Win XP cd is new and original i have used it to install other PC's and it worked just fine. Can someone tell me whats wrong or give me an idea, i have been on this PC for a week now with this problem. I feel so stressed. Please guys help. Can also e-mail me on [email protected] thanks for your attention and help.  :-?
    « Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 09:00:20 AM by lino124 »

GX1_Man

Re: Slow Installation of XP on DELL Optiplex GX 11
    « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 09:53:56 AM »
    First reseat the RAM and make sure the hard drive and all cards and cables are plugged in correctly.

The when starting the machine press F2 when you see the Dell logo. Press down the NumLock, Caps Lock,etc. so all 3 keyboard lights are lit up. Then hold down the Ctl+Alt+E key until you hear a series of beeps and release. Restart the machine by pressing escape.

Now test the RAM with the free downloadable diagnostics at www.memtest86.com

Is that the RAM that has been in the machine for a while?

Now test the hard drive with the free diagnostics from the appropriate drive maker's site.

How is the drive jumpered? Has this drive been in the machine for some time or is this a new addition?

Has the macine EVER worked normally? WHat happened between then and now?

24 hours to load Windows is definitely NOT normal.