Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stretched Graphics  (Read 4783 times)

copespeak

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • My Artist Website
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Stretched Graphics
« on: December 05, 2006, 12:43:25 PM »
I have just got a Toshiba Qosmio laptop with a 17" screen, which I am really delighted with. But no matter how I try to reset the screen I am getting distorted graphics with the widesreen display. Can anyone advise how to correct this please?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Stretched Graphics
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 12:59:59 PM »
Do you know what the "native resolution" of the screen is?
This is the resolution the screen was designed to be used at, because of the way LCD displays are made they do't look right at any other resolution.
Try changing the resolution to every value from 1280x800 upwards and see which one looks right - this is the native resolution.
However, if you know it, just change the reoslution to that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 01:00:31 PM by Calum »

copespeak

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • My Artist Website
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 02:17:12 PM »
Aha! That is better. I messed around with that to try and get the fonts larger and more readable. I need a magnifying glass now, it's so small. Thank you for that.

copespeak

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • My Artist Website
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 02:23:04 PM »
Back again........... Now the native resolution is 1920 x 1200. I have gone into the Desktop properties and have chosen 'extra large fonts' which makes the desktop and taskbars, etc, very readable, but all other (such as this) is impossibly tiny. Would really appreciate how to enlarge it. Thanks

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 10:24:42 AM »
No problem, it's nice to hear a success.
As for the small fonts problem, what browser are you using?
If it's Firefox, hold Control and scroll the mouse wheel to change the size, or press the + and - keys whilst holding COntrol to zoom in/out.
If it's IE, change it from View --> Text Size.
Alternatively, use the magnifier under Programs --> Accessories --> Accessibility.
Hope this helps.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 11:02:02 AM »
    In display properties, look in the apperance tab, and in the settings-> advanced area.

Bear this in mind when buying such a high resolution computer in the future :)

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 12:16:21 PM »
      I included the text as well as the link to make sure you read the right bits.

SYMPTOMS
      The typical resolution on most computer monitors is 96 dots-per-inch (DPI). Until recently, most computer hardware was not able to produce higher resolution, but this is changing. Several hardware manufacturers (especially manufacturers of laptop computers) are building computers that have higher resolution screens.

A user interface that was designed to look good on a 96-DPI monitor may not look as good at higher resolutions. Text and graphics that are small at 96 DPI may appear much smaller at 200 DPI. When the number of pixels-per-inch increases, the size of each pixel decreases. If you double the density of the pixels, the size of the text may be halved so that the text is no longer readable. As a result, Web pages that specify pixel sizes for containers and text appear half their size, and the layout around them is adjusted accordingly.
       Back to the top

WORKAROUND
      Internet Explorer version 6 and later versions solve these problems by proportionally adjusting the scale on screens that have higher resolution.

Scaling is not a perfect solution. Embedded Microsoft ActiveX Controls, binary behaviors, and other elements that use Microsoft Windows Graphics Device Interface (GDI) calls do not scale well or do not scale at all. The GDI does not perform automatic scaling based on the density of the display.

Internet Explorer 6 (and later versions) automatically adjusts the scale on higher resolution systems when the DPI setting is higher than 96 DPI [highlight]and[/highlight] the UseHR registry value is added to the registry. (For higher resolution systems, [highlight]the manufacturer typically does these tasks[/highlight].)
       Back to the top

Changing the DPI Setting
      To change the DPI setting on your computer, follow these steps: 1. Right-click the Windows desktop, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu. The Display Properties dialog box opens.
      2. Click the Settings tab, and then click the Advanced button.
      3. On the General tab, DPI settings appear in a list in the Display area. To change the DPI setting, select a size from the DPI setting drop-down list under Display, and then click OK.
      4. Restart your computer to allow the changes to take effect.
      [highlight]5. Add the UseHR registry entry:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
      UseHR= dword:00000001 [/highlight]

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;Q820286
      « Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 12:17:28 PM by Fed »

copespeak

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • My Artist Website
      « Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 01:42:25 PM »
      Thanks for all that great info. Some of it I have tried with some success, and some I will try. The text is not unreadable, and not everywhere, just on some webpages, like this one. The magnifier is amazing. I have a friend who has had a stoke, with severe sight damage and he said last night he uses it. I am just getting my outdated glasses replaced and will struggle on.  I still love my magnificent computer, even with this minor flaw, and bought it for the beautiful high res TV and DVD picture, as well the large screen. One more thing..... Fed, could you please walk me through the useHR registry - like where I go to find it, etc? Thanks Robyn

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 01:50:33 PM »
      Congrats on the computer by the way, Robyn, the Toshiba Qosmio is a nice laptop.
      I almost bought one myself.
      Glad you're pretty much sorted out now.
      Finally, just to steal Fed's post (not really, please don't hurt me Fed)
      To add this registry value do the following:
      Go to Start --> Run --> type regedit and press enter.
      You'll see an Explorer-style window.
      Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER by double-clicking on it or by clicking the plus sign on the left of it.
      Then expand, in the same way, Software, then Microsoft, then Internet Explorer, then Main.
      Right click in an empty space and click New, then DWORD Value.  Rename New Value#1 to UseHR, then double click it.  Edit it so the value is 1.
      Hope this makes sense, and hope we were able to help.

copespeak

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • My Artist Website
      « Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 02:10:54 PM »
      I have tried that, and  sadly no change................

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 02:16:50 PM »
      Have you tried changing the DPI as Neil suggested?
      In display properties, look in the apperance tab, and in the settings-> advanced area.

copespeak

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • My Artist Website
      « Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 02:28:23 PM »
      I have, and that certainly helped. I will clarify the changes a bit.............. I just wrote an email, and the #10 Arial font looks great, so the regedit exercise must have worked. I have the bulk of the works very readable now. The only drawback now seems to be the fonts on some webpages (this one shows up as a #8!), and that is quite bearable. I am very pleased and grateful for all your efforts. I have learned a bit more in this exercise, which I really enjoy.

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 05:52:07 PM »
        Calum, you're more than welcome to steal, copy or use anything I post. :)

BTW, you should save that Microsoft link, the problem occurs when someone does a clean install on a laptop, the W2k/XP default does not enter that key in the Registry.
        « Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 05:55:19 PM by Fed »

Neil

Expert
        • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
          « Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 11:06:57 PM »
          On Firefox you can look in the options to increase the default font size. Not sure about IE..

copespeak

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            • My Artist Website
          « Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 12:30:14 PM »
          Just adding a bit of a postscript on this one, as I am slowly working my way into understanding this laptop. Toshiba has a 'zooming facility' which works quite well on certain programs when prompted via the keyboard.  Webpages were the major issue, and this does work.