Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I upgrade my Graphics card  (Read 2566 times)

ned1

How can I upgrade my Graphics card
« on: December 05, 2006, 01:06:28 PM »
HI,
I wish to upgrade my Graphics card, but it seems I cannot upgrade my power supply of my pc "Sony VAIO PCV-RX514" deck top, what I would like to know is there a AGP geforce card of 128 or more so I can run games like Battlefield 2142 without upgrading the power supply or any other idea to get over this problem !!
Thanks for any help that you may give.
John  
ps Can the Graphics card be power from outside the pc some how

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: How can I upgrade my Graphics card
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 03:47:52 PM »
The question is how many watts does your PSU have??? And are you sure you cannot replace the PSU??? Yes, you can power Graphic card from outside PC if you have a steady hand with a soldering iron and if you want to completely destroy you Video card.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 04:23:51 PM »

No.

Again, post the power supply specifics you have and contact Sony to see if an off the shelf power supply can be used. Specific manufacturers may offer a specially made unit for proprietary unit but this can be expensive.

Check with the people who know for sure.  ;)

This is an example for one model of VAIO, but not yours.

http://www.911forpcs.com/sova410posus.html

The size may be an issue as well as the connectors.

ned1

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 02:34:52 PM »
Thanks for the help GXi-MAN, and not you fffffreak,   ::)
The details of the power supply are Part # 1-468-710-21 and it looks like 180watt,
the link looks interesting and I am going to look into it.
other problem is that I have a unknown connector from the power supply to the m/b which is a small 3 wire connector black/blue/white, if this is unplugged all the fans still run but the pc seems to run slower and will not start as well !!
Thanks for any replies (this is not for  fffffreak)  ;)
Ned

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 07:41:08 PM »
Sony's are very proprietary on a lot of things and this seems to be an excellent case in point.

Sony, eMachine, Compaq, etc. power supplies are also notoriously small, usually being barely sufficient for the equipment they are shipped with, and not meant for much expansion.

I woyuld start by contacting these guys. If they don't have it, perhaps they could directg you.

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/vendor-devicetype-partcategory.aspx?devicetype=2&partcat=power-supply&vendor=sony&modelline=&partcatid=140811

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 07:47:49 AM »
    HI,
    I wish to upgrade my Graphics card, but it seems I cannot upgrade my power supply of my pc "Sony VAIO PCV-RX514" deck top, what I would like to know is there a AGP geforce card of 128 or more so I can run games like Battlefield 2142 without upgrading the power supply or any other idea to get over this problem !!
    Thanks for any help that you may give.
    John  

Graphics card:
    Tell me ur budget. You have an AGP x4 slot and a Geforce 440MX 64MB graphics card.

PSU:
    I need more info on the motherboard. Open the case and right down the numbers written on the sticker located on the PSU itself (hopefull there will be one), preticularly whats written under the +12v box.
    That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

ned1

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 02:37:57 PM »
    Hello, & many thanks to both,
    My Budget would be about £150
    On the M/B the # A7NZ66-VX is stamped.
    Power Supply
    Part #1-468-710-21
    Output 268.9w max
    +   5V / 25A
    + 12v  / 15A
    + 12VSB / 1.8A
    +   5V & 3.3V     Total output cannot exceed  146.3 W
    + 12V & 12VSP  Total output cannot exceed  180 W

I have no idea what the small 3 wire (black/blue/white) brown connector that is next to the 20 pin on the M/B is for, but with it off it seems to run slower and hard to start

Thanks again
    Ned

« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 02:39:56 PM by ned1 »