Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 processors showing up when theres only 1 onboard  (Read 2287 times)

buddhiBUD

2 processors showing up when theres only 1 onboard
« on: December 05, 2006, 09:03:01 PM »
Hi,
I have an odd problem. I run a P4 3.2 GHz computer. It's not multi-cpu, but on the device manager, it shows that I have two P4 processors. Also on the My Computer Properties tab, it shows that I have two CPU's... one 3.20 GHz and the other changes from time to time. The last time I checked, it said 3.19 GHz, before that it said 2.80 GHz.
I'm not sure if this is related, but when I run SETI on boinc(which is set to run 100% of available procesor cap) it only runs on 50% and the rest is taken by the System Idle Process.
Also, the on the Task Manager screen, when I right click on a service/program, I have the option to set the processor affinity, to either CPU 0 or CPU 1.

So my computer is acting like it has two cpu's, where it has only one. This started only yesterday(as far as I know).

My question is, is this some kind of misconfiguration(although i did not change any system settings), a virus, etc , and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: 2 processors showing up when theres only 1 onb
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 09:06:58 PM »
Could you post a screen shot??? What kind of virus protection are you using??? This may very well be a virus, but I have yet to see anything like that.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 10:11:37 PM »
    Is this a duel-core system? Are you sure? Show us your machine's specs you saw when buying, if you have them.
    « Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:12:14 PM by Neil »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 11:07:14 PM »
    Could you post a screen shot??? What kind of virus protection are you using??? This may very well be a virus, but I have yet to see anything like that.

A virus would NOT cause this...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 06:54:56 AM »
      Its showing that u have 2 CPUs because ur CPU is dual-threaded. Its called Hyper-Threading, and its a technology created by Intel in order to start 2 threads on the same core, at the same time (wich is what u would have if u had 2 cores, each with a single thread). The only way for the OS to use 2 threads, is if it thinks it is looking at 2 cores, so thats why its written down as 2 cores.
      If u wish, u could turn off HT support in the BIOS.
      That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!