Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is "NTLDR is missing" cause from virus ?  (Read 4998 times)

Jun

Is "NTLDR is missing" cause from virus ?
« on: December 06, 2006, 12:49:47 AM »
I already read NTLDR is missing at this site and this site not told me it can cause from virus.
But recent few weeks ago I found many of my clients have this problem and all of them are the member of antivirus server and then I decied to close this antivirus server.

Very Surprise!!! I didnt found it again til this time but I dont sure there was a virus that can make this problem?  If someone know about that pls. call me

GX1_Man

phoenix910

Hopeful

Re: Is "NTLDR is missing" cause from virus ?
    « Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 09:00:45 PM »
    Even if this is from a virus, you can fix this by doing a repair installation of Windows, or if you are in a network with a server using a server image, you can re-image the machine. Then I would suggest a better anti-virus program if this was from a virus. I have had this problem before without a virus though.

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 09:27:53 PM »
      Before you try reinstalling Windows, check the connections on your hard drive. Just the other day, my younger sister complained about an error: "operating system not found". On an E-Machine, things breaking is nothing new. However, I also knew that there were several occasions where the IDE cables had come loose. Tightening them fixed the problem. (Sub-standard IDE cables -- remind me to chalk that up as another reason to hate the E-Machine.)

Even if they don't look loose, tighten the connections between the hard drive and the motherboard. If there is still a problem, then no harm is done and you can proceed with the above instructions made by pheonix910.
      « Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:28:33 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 09:49:44 PM »
        It's a problem with NTLDR, a specific component of windows, rather than the entire operating system. If it was a lose IDE cable, I doubt that it would come up with only one specific component, but still doesn't hurt to check. Something I found to do before you reinstall windows using the recovery console, found on the boot CD:
        Once you are in the recovery console, type map, and then press ENTER. Note the drive letter that is assigned to the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM. Type the following commands, pressing ENTER after you type each one:
        copy c:\i386\ntldr c:\

copy c:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
        If you are prompted to overwrite the file, type y, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: In these commands, there is a space between the ntldr and c:\, and between ntdetect.com and c:\.  
        Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

type c:\Boot.ini

A list similar to the following list appears:
        [boot loader]
        timeout=30
        default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]
        multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

If you receive the following message, the Boot.ini file may be missing or damaged:
        The system cannot find the file or directory specified.

If this is the case, you will have to create a new Boot.ini, which I will let you know how to do if you need to. Hope this helps (this is supposed to and does for many people, but I haven't tried it personally yet).

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
          « Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 10:23:03 PM »
          Oops, mis-read the error. ;)
          "The geek shall inherit the Earth."