Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sending files between two computers by WiFi router  (Read 2914 times)

tennisanyone

sending files between two computers by WiFi router
« on: December 07, 2006, 07:41:10 AM »
Is it possible?  I have Windows ME, the router is hard wired into my system.  The wireless router is sending the internet signal to a WindowsXP computer in the next room.  Can I transfer files from my computer (#1) to the computer in the next room (#2)?

Reason I'm asking is because right now all my USB ports have suddenly stopped working (meaning I didn't change any settings before this happened) and if I can't get them to work I need to transfer my important files before I try reinstall windows.  I have alot of data I want to backup so burning it all to CD-ROM would take too many.  

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: sending files between two computers by WiFi ro
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 08:18:51 AM »
    look in your device manager and make should all the usb drivers are good (look for a red x or yellow question mark.  and i think it is possible. make sure file sharing is turned on and both computers have the same workgroup name.

unlovedwarrior

tennisanyone

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 07:52:01 PM »
    "make sure file sharing is turned on and both computers have the same workgroup name. "

Where do I find out if file sharing is turned on and both computers have the same workgroup name.  And if they do I still wouldn't know how to transfer files.

The device manager shows all the USB ports as working fine.  When I plug in mass storage devices it no longer shows up in "my computer" as an f: or e:... drive.  The "safely remove usb device" no longer appears.  It's like it doesn't see it.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:48:56 AM »
    You need to read about simple file haring first:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

We are assuming your hardware is OK and set up correctly. If not, check your owner's manual.  ;)