Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS can't recognize HD  (Read 1984 times)

Somno

BIOS can't recognize HD
« on: December 07, 2006, 02:23:10 PM »
I think I know what the deal is but would like someone to confirm it. As of 2 days ago, everytime I boot my computer I get the initial boot screen and then it jumps into Bios.The only thing recognized in the Standard CMOS Features is the dvd drive.I attached a different HD that I know works and CMOS recognizes it but when I try to boot up the computer, it goes into Bios. I've was going to format the old HD and re-install Win XP but even when I change the first boot to dvd drive, the computer still boots into BIOS.
I think my motherboard's IDE ports are fried. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Pentium 4, Win XP, 512 RAM, 80 Gig IDE

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: BIOS can't recognize HD
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 03:15:10 PM »
If your IDE ports were fried it wouldn't see the optical drive either....

How is the HDD jumpered; which cable is it on and which position on the cable is it at ? ?

These are important questions so try to answer them all...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Somno

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »
Sorry, I gave you the wrong info as was given to me.The hard drive in question is a Seagate serial ATA. It comes up on the boot screen as Channel 2 M and even clicks like it's trying to boot up but instead of booting the Cmos Features window shows up. The channels appear as follows;
IDE Channel 0 Master  dvdrw ide
IDE Channel 0 Slave    none
IDE Channel 1 Master   none
IDE Channel 1 Slave    none
IDE Channel 2 Master
IDE Channel 2 Slave
I tried switching from the chan 2 serial port to chan 3 - same problem.
I've tried changing the primary boot to the optical so I could reinstall WInXP but when the computer reboots it goes back to Cmos Features window. Could it be bad connectors?
Thanks for any help

Somno

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 11:26:55 AM »
I changed out the keyboard last night thinking maybe I had a bad delete key and that's why it would go directly to CMOS Features. Sure enough, the !!*!*** thing booted right up! Always thinking it's the big stuff and sometimes it's just the little stuff!

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 01:18:49 PM »
I changed out the keyboard last night thinking maybe I had a bad delete key and that's why it would go directly to CMOS Features. Sure enough, the !!*!*** thing booted right up! Always thinking it's the big stuff and sometimes it's just the little stuff!

Yep, start with the simple stuff first (you just might save yourself some time)!

;D