Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cd door not opening  (Read 2372 times)

skylane42

Cd door not opening
« on: December 08, 2006, 06:51:33 AM »
What could be wrong with my CDRW drive?  I push the open button and nothing happens, except you can hear it try to open and the light flashes.  So, I open it thru the emergency hold in the front.  Once I get a disk in it .. it acts normal.  It will open and close as normal.  Take the disk out and the door locks.

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Cd door not opening
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 06:55:33 AM »
I have the same issue from my CD Drive also.

I was wondering. How old is the CD Drive? When was the last time you used it?

I haven't excatly pinpointed where the issue is comming from but it seems like my CD Drive get stuck comming out if I rarely use it. I try to clean the dust out everyday but it seems like more grow on it.

You have an emergency door open that sounds cool. I have to move my CD Drive left and rightor up and down ( the door) untill it gets unstuck and ejects. The funny thing is once a CD is in everything works fine untill it settles again.

centerstage

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 08:44:51 AM »
CD-RW drives are going pretty cheap these days...I'd just consider replacing it.

skylane42

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 10:42:38 AM »
TO Windows 98... there is a small hole right around the button on the drive.  If you use a pin or staraightened paperclip you can release the door by pushing the pin thru the hole and apply some pressure.  You should feel the lock move.  The door may or may not open slightly.  If it doesn`t open slightly you still should be able to pull it open.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 01:21:55 PM »
What could be wrong with my CDRW drive?  I push the open button and nothing happens, except you can hear it try to open and the light flashes.  So, I open it thru the emergency hold in the front.  Once I get a disk in it .. it acts normal.  It will open and close as normal.  Take the disk out and the door locks.

There might be some software trying to search the drive for a CD that is no longer present, or you might need to install updated drivers for your operating system. You should be able to download the drivers from the Web site of the manufacturer.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:23:01 PM by pcdoc4christ »

skylane42

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 03:51:11 PM »
I looked on the drive but did not find a manufacturer.. how can I find out who made it?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 03:55:54 PM »
    Download, unzip, install and run Everest Home Edition
    Everest

Select Computer>Summary from the left hand screen.
    Right click in the right hand screen & select Copy All
    to paste the details in here.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 06:33:07 PM »
    It really does not matter what the make and model of the drive is. It is obviously defective, but can be cheaply replaced.