Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive Not Recognized  (Read 4053 times)

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Hard Drive Not Recognized
    « on: December 08, 2006, 08:23:09 AM »
    I'm attempting to install a new 2nd hard drive, and am having problems.
    The drive I'm installing is a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 - 80 gig. I am using WIN 2000 as my OS.

When I boot, the BIOS recognizes the drive and identifies it correctly. Windows however doesn't recognize that the drive is there.

What am I overlooking?
    Tom

centerstage

Re: Hard Drive Not Recognized
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 08:38:39 AM »
    How do you have your jumpers set? You said this is a second hard drive, is this new one a slave?

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 08:54:45 AM »
      How do you have your jumpers set? You said this is a second hard drive, is this new one a slave?

The jumpers are set for a slave, and the BIOS recognizes it as such.
      Tom

centerstage

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 09:09:07 AM »
      I assume you've formatted and partitioned the drive?

If not, you might want to do that.

If you have, go into your Computer Management MMC by right-clicking My Computer and choosing manage. In the left pane, choose Disk Management. If your drive shows up in there, right-click it and choose "Initialize."

This is a shot in the dark, but it may work.

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 12:22:01 PM »
        I assume you've formatted and partitioned the drive?

If not, you might want to do that.

If you have, go into your Computer Management MMC by right-clicking My Computer and choosing manage. In the left pane, choose Disk Management. If your drive shows up in there, right-click it and choose "Initialize."

This is a shot in the dark, but it may work.

I don't know whether the drive has been formatted. How does one format a drive which the OS won't recognize? FDISk doesn't work in WIN2000.

I checked Disk Management, and the drive is not recognized there. Only the BIOS knows it exists.
        Tom

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 01:13:02 PM »
        ...I don't know whether the drive has been formatted. How does one format a drive which the OS won't recognize? FDISk doesn't work in WIN2000...[/quote]

Use your Windows 2000 CD to boot to the Recovery Console and format the hard drive:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313672

Even if the file system on the hard drive is currently NTFS, the FDISK and FORMAT commands will work with a Windows Me bootable floppy disk:

http://bootdisk.com/

« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:17:27 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 05:14:51 PM »

Use your Windows 2000 CD to boot to the Recovery Console and format the hard drive:

Thanks for the info. That looks like it should work.  I've discovered another way to go, though. I went to the Maxtor home site, downloaded 2 programs which let me make a boot disk, analyze the new drive, and format and partition it.

Problem solved (I think).

Tahnks for all the help and suggestions, though.
          Tom