Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Update and question  (Read 2154 times)

Doc

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Who am I and how did I get here?
    Update and question
    « on: December 08, 2006, 09:52:27 PM »
    Hi all,

A month or so ago I posted because I fried my motherboard and possibly my CPU.  Since then I have been getting parts to build a new machine and I have one question maybe someone can help me with.  

What I bought so far:

Pentium Core2 Duo, E6300, 1.86GHz processor
       Cooler Master Centurion 5 CAC-TO5-UW case
       Coolmax SLI CXI-500B ATX v2.01 power supply
       Gigabyte GV-NX76G256D-RH GeForce 7600GS 256MB PCI-E video card w/ Silent Pipe heatsink

I had a couple different motherboards in mind but I think I'm going to wait for an Nvidia 650i SLI board which should be coming out soon.  The 680i's are already out but I really don't need that much firepower at that price.  I'm not a big gamer and not an overclocker....yet...lol.  One reason to wait for the 650i is that it has 2 IDE connector's as well as the SATA's so I can use my ATA hard drives as well as my CD/DVD drives.  Which leads me to this question:

Is it feasible to just install the Maxstor 80GB hard drive I have now (running Windows 2000, SP4) and would there be a lot of pre-install work to do?  Or would it be better to get a new SATA drive (looking at a Seagate 7200.10) and reinstall Win2k?  I have a lot of CAD stuff and utilities that would be a pain to reinstall.  Would a Ghost image work on a new drive or possibly the Disk Wizard that Seagate has which transfers the old drive contents to the new drive?

Anyone see any potential problems with either direction I go?  I'd like to go the easiest possible route but not if it's going to screw things up for me.  Thanks in advance.

Track

Apprentice

Re: Update and question
      « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 01:27:26 AM »
      The 7600 GS is not a good card price/performance wise.
      I suppose if u already have the 7600 GS, u could buy another and have them work together in SLi, but its a waste of money, because for the price of 2 of these u could have gotten a much better card, and then bought another after some time has passes - thats the whole point of SLi, buying a single card that costs like 2, and then another identical card after a while.

You can buy an extra PCI, IDE connecter and have as many IDE slots as u want.
      That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 10:26:58 AM »
      As major components are being replaced thr Ghost image might not run properly on the new rig. I have seen this fixed however with a repair install of Win2k.

If you do a clean install of Win2k on the Sata you should be able to run all your apps that are on the IDE drive.

But i would try ghosting the new drive to see if it works. If not you can format and do your clean install and then add your old drive as a slave.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Doc

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • Who am I and how did I get here?
        « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 02:30:03 PM »
        Thanks, Track.  I guess I should have posted this question earlier but I guess I can always upgrade as I go along  ;D

Thanks, Patio.  I might try ghosting first and if it protests too much then do a clean install.  I'll find out when I try it, I suppose..lol

Any thoughts about the PSU?  I had someone tell me today that it might not run this system good enough.

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 02:44:25 PM »
          Thanks, Track.  I guess I should have posted this question earlier but I guess I can always upgrade as I go along  ;D

Thanks, Patio.  I might try ghosting first and if it protests too much then do a clean install.  I'll find out when I try it, I suppose..lol

Any thoughts about the PSU?  I had someone tell me today that it might not run this system good enough.

Its not bad.. enough for a 7600 GS thats for sure.
          That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!