Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Crash  (Read 2254 times)

Track

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Computer Crash
    « on: December 12, 2006, 12:37:36 PM »
    Alright, so ive been having problems with my CPU crashing, and i say CPU and not PC because after it crashes everything BUT the CPU is still on. So my first assumption was that the CPU fan is failing, wich made sense because its old and dosent perform well at all.
    When i say "Crashes" i mean that everything is completely fine, then all of a sudden i start hearing electrical noise in the speakers, along with whatever music i have on (the kind of noise u get when u drag ur speaker cable's end - the one that goes into the PC, across a metalic surface), and 5 seconds later the screen goes blank and everything that has to do with the CPU stops working but i can still see lights and sense heat.

So my first theory that the problem is with the CPU fan and that the CPU is causing the crash is wrong, because i checked the CPU tempereture and the CPU fan speed right before it crashed. The CPU temperature was 68c wich is low since it usually "loads" at 76c. Also the CPU fan WASNT failing since it was doing a solid 3000 RPM when it crashed and didnt go down at all - the electrical noise in the speakers isnt caused by the CPU fan or the CPU.

My second guess now, is that it is the PSU, since its old and has barely 18A on the +12v rail, wich should be enough for my CPU and graphics card, with room for expansion to a robust 7600 GS, but then maybe its failing because it just sucks.. However if the PSU is failing, why is there still light coming from the PC, on the motherboard? So this theory must be wrong aswell.

It has happened only 4 time - twice today and twice along the last 3 months, and there has been nothing new added/changed with the PC. I have opened the PC case (taken off the side) to help the CPU fan until i buy a new GPU and thus CPU fan, but that was over 2 weeks ago.

Oh, last but not least.. when the PC/CPU crashes - I smell faint smoke.. as if something was singed.

My PC specs:

Pentium 4 prescott @ 3.0Ghz 800FSB
    1024MB DDR-400 PC-3200
    500w PSU (18A +12v)
    nVidia Geforce FX 5200
    1x 80 GB HDD, 1x CD-RW, 1x DVD-ROM

Thnx!
    « Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 12:42:45 PM by Track »
    That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Computer Crash
      « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 01:02:12 PM »
      Track.... Have you gone into control panel/administrative tools/Event viewer  and had a look to see if anything shows up in there  ?
      Oh, last but not least.. when the PC/CPU crashes - I smell faint smoke.. as if something was singed.
      ....... Thats not good , have you carefully inspected the MOBO for any signs of discolouration ?
      I would be inclined to test as many of the components as possible in another machine to eliminate the possibilities. The fact that the fault, whatever it is, is so intermittent makes it very difficult to pin down. Hopefully there will be a clue in the event viewer.

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 01:03:24 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 02:23:19 PM »
      My second guess now, is that it is the PSU, since its old and has barely 18A on the +12v rail, wich should be enough for my CPU and graphics card, with room for expansion to a robust 7600 GS, but then maybe its failing because it just sucks.. However if the PSU is failing, why is there still light coming from the PC, on the motherboard? So this theory must be wrong aswell.

My main suspect is the PSU...the reason that light stays on on the MBoard is it uses hardly any juice...

The burning smell is another clue as well.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Track

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 04:53:49 AM »

My main suspect is the PSU...the reason that light stays on on the MBoard is it uses hardly any juice...

The burning smell is another clue as well.

I think u may be right.. With the PSU turned OFF the light(s) are still on (as in the PSU's fan isnt spining).

ALSO, if the CPU had crashed, then the PSU would still be working right? And its NOT!

So it looks like im going to have to buy a 50$ 300w 25A PSU to replace my 500w 18A.  :'(
        « Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:57:08 AM by Track »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 09:01:59 AM »
        I wouldn't go backwards that much in power just for a price point...i'm not saying you need 500W for that system but i would get 400W at the least.

Don't buy a cheap one unless you want to do this again down the road.

Track

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 12:25:36 PM »
          I wouldn't go backwards that much in power just for a price point...i'm not saying you need 500W for that system but i would get 400W at the least.

Don't buy a cheap one unless you want to do this again down the road.

25A > 18A

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 01:47:20 PM »
          Still amps aren't everything... maximum ratings for PSU's are what the unit will do under full load.
          Generally as high as 25% below their rating...