Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound Issues  (Read 1771 times)

Job314

Sound Issues
« on: December 14, 2006, 02:36:41 PM »
Hi, i'm having some sound problems with my dell demension 4600. Last night, all was well with my PC, i did nothing out of the ordinary and when I was done, i turned off the monitor and let it fall asleep by itself.

This morning, NO sound was working from anything. No iTunes, Windows Media, Quicktime, anything from the internet.

When i open these programs, no playback occurs. When I try to access my Finale Music Notation Software, it says my VST Engines failed to run. I think VST is exclusive to Finale though.

I'm no genius with computers, and I really need some guidance on how to correct this issue.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Sound Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 05:06:30 PM »
 Welcome to computerhope Job 314. ;D

Have you tried uninstall and reinstall of your sound drivers?

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=DIM_P4_4600&os=WW1&osl=EN#

Have you tried system restore to an earlier time when the problem
did not exist?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 05:07:29 PM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Job314

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 07:51:36 PM »
I did, both to no avail.

Using both options, once the changes were fully made I restarted the computer. When it was up and running again, I opened my itunes player and played a song and it worked. Then as a test I closed out of the program, then re-opened it only to come across the same error that i had to begin with.

To me, this sounds like maybe a sound card issue, or some other hardware thing, im not really up on the lingo. However, im not sure of that, and the support guys over in India arent giving me much of an indication either. I don't want to buy a piece of hardware that wont help my problem. I hope my above descriptions will help the talented computer masters on this forum give me some direction.

Job314

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 08:27:09 PM »
On second thought, this is no longer just a sound issue. As i tried to print something, the printer went crazy and didnt know what it was doing, the whole systems slowed down to snail pace and eventually all of my desktop icons and toolbars dissapeard. I shut the computer down. When I restarted, it seemed to be going through a series of CHKDSK operations, whatever those are. When windows booted, nothing was fixed. I think theres something seriously wrong with my windows operating system. What baffles me is there is no indication why this ever would have happend. As i said in the first post, there was nothing out of the ordinary until today. I'll probably have to go plunge more money into geeksquad or something, because I think this is out of my hands now.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 08:45:15 PM »
I'll probably have to go plunge more money into geeksquad or something, because I think this is out of my hands now.

This is probably a bad idea...

We can help.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 09:11:05 PM »
Please post the service tag which can be found on the case or in the BIOS screen (F2 at boot when you see the Dell logo).