Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DOS application on new hardware  (Read 2998 times)

Hans

DOS application on new hardware
« on: September 29, 2004, 05:06:38 PM »
I am trying to run a DOS application on a new Presario hardware platform without much success.  I have tried to run it as a DOS session in XP and also a pure DOS session under DOS 6.22.  The program displays the same problems in both situations.  

The main problem appears to be that data gets written to the wrong files or gets written as a blank.

Any ideas???  

tallyman

Re: DOS application on new hardware
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 11:29:37 AM »
Probably best, though not easiest way, is to create a small separate partition on the drive and install MSDOS there. You can do this using something like Partition Magic. The main problem I can foresee is that the DOS partition would need to be the primary so I'm not too sure how this would be handled by PM.  I'm sure there must be some sites around with help on this subject - MSDOS users are a tough bunch ;)

Hans

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 02:44:21 PM »
Thanks Tallyman,

I've tried that, but to no avail.  I am wondering if there is a compatibility problem with running DOS applications on new hardware.

Hans

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 05:10:45 PM »
...I am wondering if there is a compatibility problem with running DOS applications on new hardware...

No.
Can you boot DOS from a DOS boot disk?  Assuming your new computer still has a floppy disk drive, create a boot disk from here:  http://www.bootdisk.com/