Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Pro.. Move to new Hardware  (Read 3148 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows XP Pro.. Move to new Hardware
« on: December 17, 2006, 08:38:33 PM »
Hello ... I would like to move my Hard drive from my Dell system that is unstable due to hardware problems into a newer HP/Compaq system without having to rebuild the system which is highly custom configured. This system is a system at a Garage that I support and the Dell got jam packed with greasy dust, brake dust, etc...Nasty and amazing that it still works but crashes randomly, and keeps blowing power supplies about once every few weeks, even ones with higher wattage rating. The Cooling fans sucked all the foreign particles into the system and even after blowing it all out with canned air, there is a problem that is on the motherboard that causes it to lock up and go to a black screen. Then after turning it on and off about 4 or 5 times it might decide to boot and run for a few hours.

I tried to place the 40GB Hard Drive from the Dell Optiplex GX270 with a 2.8Ghz P4 w/HT into my available healthy HP DC5000 SFF also running the same 2.8Ghz P4 w/HT CPU, but it wont work. I get the Blue Screen of Death with a Hex Error message about a Kernel Error. When placing the Hard drive back into the Dell it boots up fine, and the hard drive is healthy after scans for problems, but the Dell has some main board issues that are random causing it to lock up, so I would like to migrate to another system if possible.

I am hoping that someone knows of a easy way to drop the Hard Drive into a system, maybe with a software application which aids in the hardware transition and reactivation of MS Windows XP Pro key due to drastic hardware change.

If there is no solution as far as software to aid in the transition from Dell to HP hardware for the Windows XP Pro OS to run properly through the transition, I suppose I will be hunting for a twin Dell Optiplex GX270 on ebay to buy and drop the Hard Drive into for a sure boot without problems.

My past experiences with moving Hard Drives is that sometimes it works with no problems, sometime it breaks the activation of XP and you have to reactivate, and then with drastic MFR hardware changes you get Blue Screens of Death and cant get around them...

Thanks,

Dave

GX1_Man

Re: Windows XP Pro.. Move to new Hardware
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 08:52:51 PM »
If you have a REAL Windows CD (not a restore disk) Then boot with that and do a repair install. As it is totally different hardware you will definitely be instructed to call Microsoft. They may or may not be helpful as the licensing on Windows fom an OEM supplier (like Dell) is different than on a retail version that you get at, say Best Buy. One interpretation of the EULA is that the operating system is ties to the machine, not to the purchaser. (Good one, Microsoft!)

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

So you may get lucky and be able to proceed. If not, and you have already done the repair install and loaded the Compaq stuff and Microsoft says no, then you may be doubly hosed.

I would contact Microsoft first if it were me.

Here is the repair install if you are feeling lucky.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

As that is an Optiplex, chances are good that you got a real Windows CD.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 08:54:15 PM by GX1_Man »

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 12:05:26 PM »
Thanks GX1_Man ... I will give this a try... Never thought of using the repair utility to fix this hardware change...But it should do it..

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 04:35:07 PM »
Let us know how it goes. We'll keep the light on.  ;)