Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Clearing browser problem, registry key culprit?  (Read 2870 times)

Ted184

Clearing browser problem, registry key culprit?
« on: December 19, 2006, 10:12:50 AM »
Since using AdAware and quarantining or removing some items identified as problems, I have been unable to clear my browser records. This results in an autocomplete of a URL in the address bar, despite autocomplete being turned off. The autocomplete is only for a couple of addresses entered before the AdAware "fix"; new addresses that I enter and then clear by clearing temporary internet files and history do not autocomplete.

I believe I may have deleted or quarantined a registry key, resulting in this problem.  Does anyone have any real expertise that could help me here? Specific steps on where to go and what to click would help. I'm afraid that I may have to contact IE and pay the cost for a phone fix.

Thanks!

Ted184

Re: Clearing browser problem, registry key culprit
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:17:53 AM »
I should add that I'm using IE 6.0.2900.2180 in Windows XP, where I'm one of several users, each of whom has their own "computer". I'm not anxious to uninstall IE, as it would affect the other users and I'm concerned about what would happen to everyone's Favorites.

I have considered just deleting myself as a user and opening another user account. Might this solve the problem?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Clearing browser problem, registry key culprit
    « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 01:02:19 PM »
     Ted184......
    I have considered just deleting myself as a user and opening another user account. Might this solve the problem?
    Without knowing exactly what may have been removed it's difficult to know if thats what has caused this issue.
    Have you been using Ad-Aware SE personal regularly before with no problems ?   Which version is currently installed ( as well as latest update definition date )
    Have you installed any IE tweaking programs which may have triggered the issue ?
    Are you the Admin on that machine ?
    As a test , you might try creating a new user account and see if that clears up the issue ....( don't delete the existing account just yet )

You might wish to down load and install ccleaner , it does an excellant job of purging that info from your browser ....... Get ccleaner at .....  http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/      then set it up as outlined here ...... http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149558249

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 01:08:43 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.