Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dvd-rw trouble  (Read 2039 times)

woahthere

dvd-rw trouble
« on: December 25, 2006, 08:31:06 PM »
okay iv got a sony dvd rw dw-d22a drive and i just bought aload of dvd-rw and inside the dvd-r's it says, that because the disks are 16x, i will need to upgrade my dvd drives firmware, iv googled but i carnt find anything about it.

where will i be able to get the fireware from?, and no my drives not listed on the sony site:(

GX1_Man

Re: dvd-rw trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 09:18:09 PM »
Just one example of how you can ruin a drive with a firmware update if done incorrectly:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=149990

Some SONY drives are actually made by LiteOn.

That drive is listed as a 16x dual layer drive. I don't see why you would need to update anything. Have you actually tried burning a disc in it?

Not all discs are compatable with all drives unfortunately, so there is a bit of trial and error there as well. Hopefully these will work just fine.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 03:55:50 AM by GX1_Man »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 12:01:04 AM »
SONY DVD RW DW-D22A - No Firmware Updates Available.

See below site and Search the download database. just enter
 D22A for your results.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_result.php?kaj=1&isces
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 12:05:21 AM by street1 »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Bill_L

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 11:50:09 AM »
I have the same Sony DVD writer & also I just bought Maxell 16X DVD-RW's. My DVD writer keeps asking me to insert a recordable disk ie. it does not want to accept these 16x DVD-R discs when I try to burn to it. I called Future Shop to ask what the problem could be & I was told that my Sony writer needs replacing. I told him the writer works fine with 8X's DVD_R discs. He told me it's just a matter of time before it won't work with the 8X's DVDs either. I also tried Memorex 16X DVD-RW's with the same result. The next problem I noticed was that my Sony DVD writer  was also having trouble playing back recorded DVD's ie. sound was garbled & video would momentarily freeze up. Ended up replacing the Sony DVD writer.

My conclusion is that 16X DVD's should work with the Sony DW-D22A without any firmware upgrade. I just had the unfortunate coincidence that I was trying new 16X's DVDs at the same time my burner started to break down.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 10:24:54 AM by Bill_L »