Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can a single SATA cable support 2 drives(split)?  (Read 7190 times)

keyven

Can a single SATA cable support 2 drives(split)?
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:30:38 PM »
I am using WinXP SP2

I have 2 SATA ports on my Mobo, and 3 SATA Hard drives (80, 250, 320Gb)

I want to use all SATA HDs, but I read somewhere it is not possible to mount 2 SATA HDs on a single SATA port/cable. I would really prefer to be able to do this with minimal costs, and i'm just wondering if there is such a thing as a Split Cable (not Split Power Cable)... Google doesn't really help.

Can anyone please confirm this and tell me of any (cost-effective) alternatives.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Can a single SATA cable support 2 drives(split
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 01:22:19 AM »
You can't do that only ide. Use IDE. SATA is annoying trying to configure anyway (by my means).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 01:22:42 AM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

keyven

Re: Can a single SATA cable support 2 drives(split
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 02:35:04 AM »
boy, thanks for answering BOTH my questions!

I did manage to call up a shop and they told me what you just did... however, they said i could purchase a PCI card for more SATA slots.

Thanks~