Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OE 6 SP2 can't reply to or forward emails  (Read 5903 times)

J. Mohnachev

OE 6 SP2 can't reply to or forward emails
« on: October 03, 2004, 04:53:36 PM »
New computer XP Home sp2 pre-installed. In OE cannot reply to or forward emails. Get message " OE has encountered a problem and must close" Is this something to do with SP2?  I've been searching for days and cannot get help.

Can anyone here supply any help?

merlin_2

Re: OE 6 SP2 can't reply to or forward emails
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 05:24:26 PM »
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570 it may apply  also check the firewall  in sp2

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 06:07:05 PM »
    J. Mohnachev.....given that your pc is new.....have you ever been able to SEND a Email or just receive?
    It almost sounds as if your Outlook Express mail account isn't configured correctly or it may not be selected as the default Email program.......Are you using a new ISP or is it one that you had previously?  Check to be sure your outgoing server (SMPT) is configured correctly.
    To check these ..open outlook express.....click ...tools ....then select accounts then click on the "mail" tab and click "properties" check both the Incoming and outgoing server settings.....( these are provided by your server)
    let us know how you make out.

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 06:09:40 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

JeanM

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 12:32:16 PM »
    Hi Merlin 2,

I'm not sure if I am replying correctly, I have disabled  SP2 firewall, I use ZoneAlarm Pro.  I also allowed attachments and this doesn't make any difference, I am still being told that  "OE has encountered a etc ..."  

JeanM

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 12:52:21 PM »
    Hi dl65,
    Yes I can send and receive messages no problem also send attachments, I haven't received one yet though.

I have another computer (stand alone, not networked) with XP Home SP1 with exactly the same set up or options and can forward and reply with no problem. ISP was the same( long story, I am using the old pc with a free offer from a dsl isp that I received with the new pc) OE is the default email on the new pc too. Checked with the isp to make sure it's configured correctly. But since I haven't seen anyone else with this problem I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Thank you and Merlin_2 for your attention to this problem.

JeanM

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 02:28:43 PM »
    Hi merlin_2 & dl65, this may be too late to be of any help. But it had to be re-formatted and XP and SP2 re-installed on the advice of the store technician and he did it!
    This solved the problem. Sorry for the delay but I
    couldn't deal with this until last week.

Thanks again for your efforts.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 11:41:00 PM »
      J. Mohnachev.....Glad to hear your problem has been resolved.. I'm curious , did you receive a original copy of Windows XP home edition as well as the cd with windows SP2 on it from the dealer you bought the pc from?
      let us know

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.