Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: occasionally slow computer  (Read 2465 times)

bryon

occasionally slow computer
« on: January 11, 2007, 10:54:43 PM »
Greetings.

I have a second-hand Compaq Presario 7360. It came from a trusted source who used it for conferencing and primarily (it appeared) for games. I stripped off the toys and have turned it into something useful for a writer/editor and for desktop publishing.

It runs Microsoft Windows 98 SE with an AMD-K6 3D processor. It has 120MB RAM. With Firefox and Microsoft Word open, 60% of the system resources are free. Those are the programs I use the most. I’m using about 4 GB of the 39 available on the HD and not quite half the space on my system drive (both are FAT32).

Graphics acceleration is set at the notch above None (setting it at None created other problems, I vaguely recall). Windows is handling the virtual memory.

I run CCleaner, Spybot, and Ad-Aware daily. I have ClamWin anti-virus. I use ScanDefrag 5.4 to clean, scan, and defrag my drives. I haven’t found what video card I’m using, but I searched and don’t have either the ATI 3D Rage II or the 3D Rage II Plus.

I recently downloaded HDD Health to check the system, and except for frequent notices that my raw read error rate is a little up or down, it seems okay. The temperature runs between 36 and 41 C.

I’m not much of a tech guy, but I’ll try to provide any other info you need.

The problem (at last): Once or twice a week, my computer will act as though molasses is running through the circuitry. Some days I can go back and forth between Firefox and MS Word and all is well. Other days, trying to use either provides a new definition of “slow.” What’s with this thing, or what am I overlooking?

Many thanks,
Bryon

stones

Re: occasionally slow computer
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 01:28:21 AM »
Most likely an updater service running in the background like microsoft update for example or antivirus is auto updating (mine seems to auto update only when im playing 3D intensive games, pain in the *censored*)

To reduce the amount of unecessary background services try this- Optimizer XP
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1087
Quote-
"Optimizer XP will help you to optimize your PC system to its best performance without any options. No experience required. Just select mode to optimize or restore your system.

Optimizer XP is a freeware optimizer program but more powerful than some shareware optimizer programs. Optimizer XP is a new generation of PC Tweak and improves many functions. "

EDIT- I finally noticed that your running win 98 not XP *slaps forehead* sorry, I should pay better attention.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:05:13 PM by stones »

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 04:16:29 AM »
Frequently those machines have BackWeb running in the background, especially if it is the original OS install. Many other programs come preloaded on that vintage of Compaq and most are unnecessary. Also, a lot of debris is included with a used machine with the original OS just from using Windows. A good format and reinstall of Windows would speed things up a LOT.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 01:20:34 PM »
Also another 128mb RAM stick should help.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 03:02:23 PM »
128 RAM is the sweet spot for Windows 98. More will probably not even make a noticeable difference with normal usage.  ;)

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 03:51:27 PM »
Oh I know that but in his case it might just do the trick.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 06:31:50 AM »
    Why have you set graphics acceleratin so slow? You should only do this if you have problems with maximum setting. It's not just to do with games, but other things to.

bayern

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 06:35:41 AM »
    Memory is like party, the more the merrier. Max it out even if you have to sell your kids!  :P

B.
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 06:37:13 AM by bayern »

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 06:53:41 AM »
    Not necessarily, but an interesting thought. Windows 98 is different than XP by the way.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 07:43:30 AM »
    If he spends any money on hardware upgrades to improve performance, I believe he's much more likely get more value for his money by installing a PCI video card than more RAM.  His computer only dedicates 8MB of RAM to video memory,  An inexpensive video card with 64MB of memory would be a smarter purchase than more RAM.