Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sudden Loss of Applications  (Read 4860 times)

kzapp

Sudden Loss of Applications
« on: January 13, 2007, 10:21:13 PM »
I have a Dell Inspiron 8200, XP, 512 RAM. I have had it for 4 years and it suddenly developed some serious problems. Windows boots up and runs. Internet explorer also runs. But I am unable to open Outlook, Word, Office, Adobe. I get Error25090. Office setup encountered a problem with the office source engine, system error -2147024893. Please open C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\SETUP.CHM and look for "Office Source Engine" for information on how to resolve this problem.

I have no idea where to start....THe above file has no setup.chm file.

GX1_Man

Re: Sudden Loss of Applications
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 10:35:39 PM »
Unistall and then reboot and reinstall Office is the easiest solution.  ;)

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:39:26 PM »
Unistall and then reboot and reinstall Office is the easiest solution.  ;)

Did your Microsoft Office installation come with your computer? Don't do that unless you have a Microsoft Office disk.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 10:40:05 PM by fffreak »
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

kzapp

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 10:44:35 PM »
I just found the orignial disk but I am wondering what the best way to uninstall is. I have had problems before when doing uninstalls.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 11:25:03 PM by kzapp »

kzapp

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 11:28:25 PM »
My orignal disk says Microsoft Office 2000. I have installed Office Standard Edition 2003 and Office XP Small Business.

I tried to unistall and got this error message: Error 1316. Setup cannot read from file etc.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 11:31:59 PM by kzapp »

kzapp

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 12:05:56 AM »
I was able to uninstall using windows installer cleanup utility, thankfully.

I reinstalled the old office 2000.

Now how to update back to newer versions? And what else may have been changed?

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 06:16:26 AM »
You don't need an older version to load a newer version. Were all 3 of these installed at the same time previously? That can cause Windows some confusion right there. Just pick the one you want to use. If not Office 2000 then uninstall that one first.

kzapp

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 09:34:15 AM »
Sorry about the confusion - but I am not really sure what versions I have or need. I believe that I have now found all the original disks that we were given by Dell. Here is the list:

dell cd with drivers, utilities and applications for reinstalling dell inspiron
windows home edition XP
micrsoft office 2000
microsoft office XP small business
microsoft office xp service pack 1
(other add ons)

I also that I am going to have to completely reinstall everything - so many things are messed up. How can I check this? Where do I start?

Thanks for the help.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 10:27:05 AM »
Well you only need Office 2000 or Office XP Small Business edition. Each will probably have something the other doesn't so choose which components you need. I prefer the look and feel of Office 2000, but that's just me.

If the system is really unstable now, or you just want a clean start, a good format and reinstall will solve all Windows problems for a while.  ;)

kzapp

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 11:08:57 AM »
I have no idea how to do that.

I tried working through Dell's PRE-reinstall trouble shooting but when I got to run system file checker I am unable to do this. Run sfc/scannow doesn't work.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 12:19:34 PM »
I believe that I have now found all the original disks that we were given by Dell. Here is the list:

dell cd with drivers, utilities and applications for reinstalling dell inspiron
windows home edition XP
[highlight]micrsoft office 2000
microsoft office XP small business[/highlight]
microsoft office xp service pack 1
(other add ons)

This doesn't smell quite right.  Since when does Dell give customers two versions of Office, or even one for that matter?  If got Office with the computer, you probably paid extra for it.  And, if you got two versions of Office from them, I'd say you definitely paid extra for at least one of them.

Anyway, you have everthing you need to format your hard drive and do a fresh installation of Windows and all the drives and applications that were originally installed.  If you put the Restore CD, the one with Windows, in the CD drive and then restart your computer, your computer should boot from the CD and you'll be on your way to formatting and reinstalling Windows.

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 12:46:36 PM »
Be sure and back up any important data files first.  ;)

kzapp

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 12:52:27 PM »
I was just looking into that ;) It will be a while. first i need to see if the cd data will burn...

kzapp

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 01:01:59 PM »
of course, the cd burn software doesn't work either.
I will need to reinstall that..