Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook 2002 Email Can't Attach Files  (Read 4081 times)

DaveMcKeen

Topic Starter

Starter
    Outlook 2002 Email Can't Attach Files
    « on: January 19, 2007, 01:54:59 PM »
    I routinely attach files to outgoing email messages sent from Outlook 2002 (Outlook in Office XP).  Sometime around last spring I found I was not able to attach certain files but was able to attach others of the same type and from the same directory.  

Example:  
    I have a folder named "Info for Models".  Amongst files in the folder are "Info1_Invitation.pdf", "Info2_More_Details.pdf", "Info3_Model_Guide.pdf", "Sample_Resume.pdf" and so on.

The trouble began when I attempted to attach my Info1 file and my Sample Resume file to an email message I was preparing to send out.  I got this message:  "Can't create file: Info1_Invitation.pdf.  Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder."

This only occurred for this one file.  I could attach the other files.  I renamed Info1_Invitation.pdf to Info1a_Invitation.pdf and then was able to attach the renamed file successfully.

Then a few days later another file failed to attach.  I found I was unable to attach "Sample_Resume.pdf" to an outgoing message.  I searched the Internet for cures.  I wound up changing the pointer to "Temporary Internet Files" from "C:\Documents and Settings\dmckeen\temp\Temporary Internet Files" to "C:\temp\Temporary Internet Files".  I made the change from "IE Tools > Internet Options > General > Browsing history > Temporary Internet Files and History Settings > Move folder...", not the registry.  

Everything began working fine.  For about six months.  Again I had to rename my Info1... to Info1a... And ...Resume to ...Resume1.  

Any ideas why certain files are being discriminated against by the OS, which is Windows XP Pro, SP2?  I can't find anything that comes close in MSKB.

Thanks, - Dave McKeen

Gizmo73

Intermediate

• We do only what we are meant to do
      Re: Outlook 2002 Email Can't Attach Files
      « Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 08:01:24 PM »
      Everytime you failed to attach a file, was there any files already attached or where they all attached after the failed one?

Are these the only two files you've ever had trouble attaching?

Gizmo73

DaveMcKeen

Topic Starter

Starter
        Re: Outlook 2002 Email Can't Attach Files
        « Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 08:33:44 PM »
        Hi Gizmo,

I most frequently attach the Info1 and the example resume at the same time.  According to file order the Info1 file, which is the one that first won't attach, loads first.  So far those have been the only two files I've had trouble attaching.  When I rename them they attach OK.  Everything else about the file remained the same.

But there is something else fishy going on that seems to be related.  I once was able to insert inline images within the body of HTML formatted email messages.  Emoticons, image thumbnails and the like.  At about the time my Info1 file first wouldn't attach ("Can't create file...") I had trouble including inline images in my messages.  If Outlook had not yet saved a draft of the message I was able to insert files into the message body.  If Outlook had already saved a draft of the message I would get the little red X in a box representing the image.  If I inserted an inline image before Outlook saved the draft, but then Outlook saved the draft before I send the message, the image would be replaced by the little red x in a box representing the image.

After I directed Temporary Internet Files to a new temp folder the inline images began sticking in the message body normally, but after a couple of weeks the trouble began again.

This all seems so convoluted I hope I'm explaining it clearly enough.  I appreciate your interest in this.  I've found search results on the Web that seem to dance around what 'm experiencing, but noting that hits is right on the head.

This may have something to do with the system applying protection to the Temporary Internet Files folder.  I can't find anything in the MSKB that deals with this set of weirdness.

Thanks, - Dave