Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer starts well, but a short beep after POST  (Read 2515 times)

sunnysky

computer starts well, but a short beep after POST
« on: January 22, 2007, 08:50:34 AM »
Dear Friends,

I got an old Dell Dimension L866R.  The BIOS seems to be Phoenix.

I upgraded the CPU to 1GHz, the Memory to 512M and repalced the hard drive.  However, it always gives me a short beep after POST.  It starts normally, no problem in identifying memory and IDE drives, and the Windows XP is loaded and started with no problem.  However, I can't find a way to get rid of the beep.  I disconnected all second drives, replaced the memory, ide cable, removed all pci cards, etc.  What else could cause the beep?

Thanks,
Brian
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 09:22:46 AM by sunnysky »

GX1_Man

Re: computer starts well, but a short beep after P
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 12:51:31 PM »
Is the replaced processor identified in the BIOS? Did you check the beep codes for that model on the Dell site?

sunnysky

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 01:25:51 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I think it can identify the faster CPU.  Its startup information shows it is 1GHz.  Besides, I can also enter the BIOS setup, which shows CPU as 1GHz.

I checked online and found beep codes.  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dmum/codemess.htm#post_beep_codes
However, it says it is only for "the system emits a beep code and then fails to start".  My computer can start well.  According to the manual, one beep is "Memory Refresh Failure".  I rotate the memory location and it still emits beep.  The BIOS shows the memory to be 512MB.

I need to check whether my two memories modules are the same.  I am not sure whether that could cause problems.  I will also update the BIOS.

Brian
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:39:58 PM by sunnysky »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 03:12:57 PM »
Careful about updating/flashing the BIOS...many doorstops have been created this way...

2 of the 4 machines i have do the short beep and i assume it means a successful POST. If the machine is fine i wouldn't sweat it.

patio.   8-)

p.s. I just remembered another instance of this...right before the Holidays i installed a new vid card in a customers rig and they then had a short beep on POST where there was none before. Turns out it was the vid card showing it's recognised properly.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 06:10:28 PM »
A stock Dell does not make an audible beep at startup.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 08:31:15 PM »
I know beige is beautiful...but i've never owned a Dell.

;D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sunnysky

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 08:56:27 AM »
Thanks.  I already updated the BIOS.  Fortunately I didn't get any problems.

I found where the beep comes from.  "Silent Boot" was disabled.  If it is enabled, it doesn't beep.  Seems a trivia switch.

Thank you all for advices.