Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive/USB Problems  (Read 3064 times)

martini

External Hard Drive/USB Problems
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:28:17 PM »
Hello,

I am having trouble with my external hard drive that I connect through my USB port. My computer sometime doesn't recognize it. Sometime it works for a few minutes but then restarts like I unplugged it then plugged it back in (I know this because the window asking me what I want to do with this device appears). Other times it works fine for hours. This has become extremely annoying because I keep all my music on the hard drive. iTunes doesn't save the library when it expectingly quits and I then have to reload all my songs (which takes quite a while).

My suspicions lie in the USB or my computer more then the hard drive. About a month ago my computer stop recognizing my iPod; it sees it as an external drive and I haven't found a solution for that either. Also, occasionally I get a pop up stating that the connected device will work faster if I connect it to a USB 2.0 port. Well, I only have 2 USB ports and both are 2.0.

Heres what I'm running:
Dell Inspiron 8600
Windows XP Home Edition
Maxtor Hard Drive in an i-rock HDD 3.5" enclosure  

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: External Hard Drive/USB Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:08:26 PM »
Do you have the latest updates?
What happened before this started?
Any problems in device manager?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 02:25:49 PM »
Are you using the "Safely Remove this device item" in the tray area each and every time ? ?

This is kinda important especially with external HDD's...

(Watch GX1 )
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:26:31 PM by patio »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

martini

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:45:30 PM »
Do you have the latest updates?
What happened before this started?
Any problems in device manager?

Latest updates for windows? I believe so, is there a way to check? Is there some sort of USB driver that can be updated?

Nothing happened before this happened that I can think of. The deal with the iPod happened right after the latest update of iTunes so I thought it was related to that but now im not so sure.

Now that I look at the device manager is is compleatly blank!? I just have the little computer symbol with "Device Manager on local computer" but there is nothing else. No way to expand it and no devices showing.

Are you using the "Safely Remove this device item" in the tray area each and every time ? ?

I use it when i do remove it, which is rare. I don't do it before shutting down the computer and I wait until the computer is shut down to turn off the hard drive. Should I not be doing this?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 09:03:44 AM »
Open internet explorer, click tools and then windows update.
Get any applicable updates from there, then reboot.
See if that helps.
Now that I look at the device manager is is compleatly blank!? I just have the little computer symbol with "Device Manager on local computer" but there is nothing else. No way to expand it and no devices showing.  
Very strange.
Go to Start --> Run --> type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
Can you see anything now?

martini

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 09:26:57 AM »
Open internet explorer, click tools and then windows update.
Get any applicable updates from there, then reboot.
See if that helps.

Very strange.
Go to Start --> Run --> type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
Can you see anything now?

No updates and starting the device manager from Run did the same thing...

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 10:09:01 AM »
Do you have another PC to test your iPod and external HDD on?
And another USB device to test with that PC?

martini

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 07:29:37 PM »

The HDD works on other computers fine. My printer and mouse work in the USB port without any troubles. I have really run out of ideas here. The only thing I noticed is when I run SpyBot to check for spyware a few items come up. I click "fix problems" and it says it works. If I run the SpyBot again right away the same programs come up. Can this be causing it? Is there a way to get rid of these?

Also is there a way to reinstall windows without loosing all my programs and settings? Just something to fix the drivers or something?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 01:55:51 AM »
Also is there a way to reinstall windows without loosing all my programs and settings? Just something to fix the drivers or something?

Do you have a real Windows CD or just a restore CD? If it is a real Windows CD you can.

martini

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 09:02:46 AM »

Do you have a real Windows CD or just a restore CD? If it is a real Windows CD you can.

I have a CD that came with the computer. It is called a "Windows XP Reinstallation CD". So my guess is it doesn't.

But I did find a CD that is for Reinstalling Dell Inspiron System Software. It says it contains device drivers. Would this help at all?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:04:39 AM by martini »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 10:36:54 AM »

The HDD works on other computers fine. My printer and mouse work in the USB port without any troubles. I have really run out of ideas here. The only thing I noticed is when I run SpyBot to check for spyware a few items come up. I click "fix problems" and it says it works. If I run the SpyBot again right away the same programs come up. Can this be causing it? Is there a way to get rid of these?

What problems does Spybot find?

martini

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 11:10:31 PM »

What problems does Spybot find?

AdRevolver
Advertising.com
Avenue A, INC
CasaleMedia
DoubleClick
FastClick
HitBox
MediaPlex
Statcounter
WebTrends Live
Zedo

It cant seem to get rid of these.

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 04:03:59 AM »
Make sure the programs are updated. Then turn off system restore, boot into safe mode and run the scans there.

What happens now?

martini

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 02:41:18 PM »
Make sure the programs are updated. Then turn off system restore, boot into safe mode and run the scans there.

What happens now?

I still get the same thing. It worked for a few days but has stopped again.