Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Post beep  (Read 5128 times)

Don Stuart

No Post beep
« on: October 06, 2004, 06:33:21 PM »
  Well I reinstalled Win XP and it froze on installing your network. After fifteen minutes I did a hard boot. No post beep and the monitor states Monitor G, Check your signal cable or cpu. I switched the following to parts that I know work, all new, (video card, and mother board). Checked the monitor on another system. It is fine. Still the same thing. The system will turn on and I hear it counting, the hard drives are working and the CPU fan is working.  But, still no post beep and the monitor says the same thing. Now we are down to either the RAM or CPU and maybe power supply?  Or maybe a short in the case. Anyone have any ideas? This is baffeling. As I said, I hear it counting and hard drives spin and the CPU fan spins. But, it turns on just that to turn it off, you have to unplug it. CPU maybe or case or other ideas?
Thanks,
Don

shield

Re: No Post beep
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 07:38:43 PM »
is your video card well seated? i dont see how you can short the mobo from just a re-install... im not shure... "calls for raptor or merlin"

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 07:43:33 PM »
    Don Stuart....Perhaps you could share with us why you had
    to reinstall XP .....was it a clean install ?
    Why would you suspect a short ? Were you messing around in the case ?
    let us know

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 07:43:59 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Don1188

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 09:26:10 PM »
      Well the system started running very slow.  And it would freeze once in awhile.  I ran updated virus scan to no avail, actually ran two just to double check.  Then I decided that I might as well format and reinstall XP because, there was alot of junk on the hard drive.  
     This was a barebones system I put together myself a little over a year ago.  And of course just out of warranty.  So, after the initial problem of no post beep etc.  I asked around at work and online and was told to try removing my vedio card and reinserting it.  Then if that didn't work try removing it.  Then try the same with all cards etc.  It I had the same problem I was told it was probebly a motherboard.  So I purchased a new one.  I also purchased a new video card.  And I still get the same message with no post beep.  I am baffalled now.  

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 11:10:34 PM »
    I would test the Hard Disk Drive on another computer..

If you believe your RAM is faulty, try changing the stick(s) from one slot to another

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 01:05:42 PM »
    cpu my guess... did you clear the cmos...?take out the flat round shape battery for five minutes and replace it..

Don Stuart

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 02:08:20 PM »
      Ok I tried swapping the hard drive to another computer and it works fine.  I also tried swapping slots for the RAM.  I couldn't swap the RAM because my other computer is very old.  At least it rulled out the hard drive.  I also tried clearing the CMOS by removing the battery.  I still get the same thing.  So I have ordered new RAM and a new CPU.  I will install the CPU first incase the RAM is good.  If the RAM i good I will still be ok I guess because it will give me more RAM.  I ordered the CPU and RAM retail so, they will have a warrenty.  Both should be here in a week.  Keep an eye open because I will post the results.  It may help someone else.  This really baffled me.  And I would like to thank everyone in advance for your help.  The RAM may still be a concern because, it will be a differant brand, "I'm not sure?"  Both will be same pin and PC2700 512MB at 333.  
    Thanks again,
    Don

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 11:13:43 PM »
    Different brands should not cause a problem, I think.. Unless you're using an older variant of Dual Channel technology. (So I read)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 12:45:50 AM »
      Don Stuart......Re the no post beep......given all the messing around in the case ...is it possible you have dislodged or loosened the wiring to the case speaker?
      As far as your other problems......given what you have done in there it's almost impossible to put a finger on whats gone wrong.
      If it was my pc..I'd completely disassemble it....then after confirming that the components are ok ..I would put it back together.......and I would suggest borrowing a hard drive with a o/s on it to get it back up and running and then switch back to your own hard drive and consider doing another format and a clean install.
      let us know how you make out
      dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 12:46:12 AM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Don Stuart

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 02:13:27 PM »
        The whole problem is that the computer won't post at all.  Not just the post beep.  By the time I am done I will have a new computer with all retail parts, not bulk.  I have the new motherboard, a new vedio card, new RAM and a CPU on the way.  When all this gets put in, it should work.  I hope!  There isn't anything else that can be done, is there?  Outside of buying a new case.  I ever tried what you suggested with a harddrive that has a working OS.  Same thing.  It is very strange.  The monitor works on my other computer and when I attach the monitor from the other computer is states,"No Signal."  Where when I hook up the orignal monitor to it and it runs the test it says,"monitor is working G, check PC or signal cable B, system test G."  But, right after all this happened I found that when I try to boot it up it will not turn off.  I have to unplug it to shut it down.  I don't know if the CPU has anything to do with that or not.  So, I ordered the new CPU and RAM.

Thanks again,
      Don

Don1188

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 11:07:48 AM »
        Okay, my parts are suppose to be here tomorrow UPS.  I'll drop a line an let everyone know what the outcome is.

Don

Don1188

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 05:41:48 PM »
        Hey there.  Well my parts arrived as scheduled.  I installed the new RAM after removing the old.  Same problem.  I then installed the new CPU and heatsink.  It started right up.  I have no idea what cause the CPU to go bad.  The temp on my new one is 39C/102F to 43C/107F.  The new CPU fan that came with it is running at 2812RPM.  This system did not come with a case fan.  I have ordered one.  Does the temp sound alright now?
      Thanks,
      Don

Computer_Commando

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 06:17:47 PM »
      ...I have no idea what cause the CPU to go bad.  The temp on my new one is 39C/102F to 43C/107F.  The new CPU fan that came with it is running at 2812RPM.  This system did not come with a case fan.  I have ordered one.  Does the temp sound alright now?

Maybe old CPU fan stopped?  Very uncommon for CPU's to just blow up, unless you had some kind of power surge or fan stopped and it overheated.  You do have your computer on a UPS (uninterruptible power supply)?  Temp is motherboard temp, not CPU temp.  Power supply has fan blowing out, another case fan sucking in can't hurt.  Case fan sucks in at the bottom, PS blows out at the top.  Temp sounds good to me, my old PIII-450 is at 38-40C.  Hard drive is at 40-45C.  CPU fan is same as mine @ 2850 rpm.
      « Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 06:20:25 PM by Computer_Commando »