Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD not detected in BIOS  (Read 3428 times)

shirishv

HDD not detected in BIOS
« on: February 01, 2007, 03:54:39 AM »
hey ther,
well my samsung 40gb is not being detected by bios.
i tried the jumper configs. infact removed all the peripherals but for my HDD but still the bios is unable to detect it...
the hdd tools in ultimate boot cd are of no use as they can do nothin until the hdd is detected.
i hav ensured tht the ide cables are ok by testing another hdd.
further, wen i connect the hdd to the mobo, bios takes time to come to the post screen, whereas if the hdd is not connected to the mobo, bios quickly goes from the "press del to enter setup" page to the post screen...
i can feel the disk becomin slightly heated if kept for a while connected to the pc (although not being detected).. i guess that means that it is atleast spinnin!!

plz help as i think i have tried almost everythin...
still if there is somethin which i may hav missed out that i can try before givin it to the vendor. plz lemme know!!!! :'( :'( :'(

regards,
shirish.  :-? :-?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: HDD not detected in BIOS
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 05:36:18 AM »
If you have a floppy drive you can try a win98 boot disk to see if it
shows up.

www.bootdisk.com
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 10:01:18 AM »
Sounds like that HDD has passed on...try it jumpered as a slave in another machine.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

shirishv

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 03:00:42 AM »
well i jumpered it as a master in another machine.. and well the other machin got stuck at the initial mobo manufacturers display pic page... it just didnt go ahead..
and wen i disconnected my drive.. . within seconds of powerin it on, the post screen comes up...

i guess.. the machin tries to detect the hdd but just is not able too..
am i bein too optimistic in thinkin that my hdd is alive!! ???

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 03:04:19 AM »
Sounds like that HDD has passed on[highlight]...try it jumpered as a slave in another machine[/highlight].

What happened prior to all of this?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 03:05:34 AM by GX1_Man »

shirishv

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 03:24:17 AM »
well.. do u mean wat happened prior to my hdd not bein detected..
well the story goes like this ---
i thought i wud do a good deed by checkin out whats the problem with an office pc...
the hitachi hdd was givin problems there and was not gettin detected too in bios..
and so to check whether there is anythin wrong with the mobo or the connectors i removed my samsung hdd from my pc and tested it in the office machine..
and yup.. it was detected and i was able to boot and all.. and so diagnosed the hitachi hdd as bad and sent it to the manufacturer for replacement...
well and then in the evenin wen i returned home to replace my hdd back.. i got the shock there.. coz now my hdd was not gettin detected... and its out of the warranty period too.. its been 3 and a half years.. *censored*!!!!.. why did i think of doin a good deed !!!! ????

neways.. u guys knw wat happened after this.. and wat all i tried.. its in the first post above.. !!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 07:10:05 AM »
Sounds like that HDD has passed on...try it jumpered as a [highlight]slave [/highlight]in another machine.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 07:11:02 AM »
Sounds like that HDD has passed on...try it jumpered as a [highlight]slave [/highlight]in another machine.

It's quite possible you have scrambled the MBR by putting a HDD with an OS installed into another machine as a master. HDD's are not hot swappable on other machines after they have been setup to run on one particular machine. This is why you ALWAYS use the slave setting when trying to retrieve data or run diagnostics or data recovery.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 07:13:56 AM by patio »

shirishv

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 02:10:56 AM »

well if thts the case... then wat are my options now !!!

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 05:32:07 AM »
Read all of the below link.

http://www.ntfs.com/mbr-damaged.htm
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

shirishv

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 03:03:15 AM »
again, i can repair the mbr as per the link provided only if my hard disk is detected by the bios.. but in my case.. the hard disk only doesnt show up....

is there ne software out there which can detect a disk not shown by the bios and diagnose it.. ?? !!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 03:18:40 AM »
If it is connected correctly and is not seen in the BIOS it has already been diagnosed.  ;)

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 04:28:34 AM »
HDD GURU / HHD WIPE is a freeware.You can run it in windows.
If the drive don't show up on this program.It isn't connected properly,or it's dead.

Here-->HDDGURU/HDDWIPE
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 05:32:36 AM by street1 »