Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win XP boots in safe mode but not in normal mode  (Read 2474 times)

feliz_75

Win XP boots in safe mode but not in normal mode
« on: February 03, 2007, 06:05:19 AM »
good day folks..I'm having a little issue I can't seem to solve..would greatly appreciate any assistance  :)
This is a pc I had built for my in-laws, here is my specs:
Soltek SL-865Pro2-FGR mobo
MSI NX6600GT-VTD128 video card
Kingston Value RAM - KVR400X64C3AK2/1G : 1GB PC3200 CL3
INTEL P4 3.2GHZ
Seagate 200GB SATA hard drive
500W power supply.
Windows XP Sp2

my issue is that when I boot up the pc it starts to load up Windows the pc just restarts.
Tried it in safe mode and it works though.
The reason why I ended up in this scenario was because I cleaned up some trojans and viruses. I cleaned up the bulk of it by taking the hard drive and plugging it into another pc because the origianl pc was really crawling. I put it back into the origianl pc and ran in safe mode to clean up anything left behind in the OS. I can't remember starting it up in normal mode at this time though.
The next thing I did was removed the RAM out of the pc to stick into the next pc to see how much difference to my DSL speed it would make. I then put slower memory in my father-in-laws pc cause he doesn't use it anymore. This memory was Kingston KHX3200AK2/512 - 512MB PC3200 CL2.
I then booted it up as normal, then when Windows was almost finished loading, the blue screen flashed up and it restarted. I tried to take a picture of the blue scree but was unsuccessful. In the meantime I had put back the original RAm and also tried a different hard drive. With the different hard drive, at least it got as far as asking for "windows activation' before it restarted. All other drives were disconnected also.
I then swapped video cards and same thing. From all my 'testing' it looks like there is a problem with the motherboard it seems.
I tried contacting Soltek but apparently they out of business, anybody can confirm this?
if it is the mobo, why does it boot in safe mode?
Thanks for the help in advance.

feliz_75

Re: Win XP boots in safe mode but not in normal mo
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 06:12:58 AM »
I also tried all 4 memmory slots one at a time and still didn't work.
I know I need the blue screen info, so is there any recommended way of getting it like from a log inside safe mode or something?

feliz_75

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 08:13:35 AM »
ok i got what the message said by 'turning off auto restart on error"
this is the error code:
0x0000007e
0xc0000005 0xf76AC174 0xF96B7D44 0xF96B7A40

i will go see what i can dig up on this in the meantime, till some of you wake up..yes I know its saturday morning..sleep-in-late time  ;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 11:09:37 AM »
Here Ya Go

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

feliz_75

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 07:38:07 AM »
Here Ya Go

patio.  8-)

Thanks Patio for sending me down the right path  :)
Yep got it fixed by supposedly uninstalling the drivers for the Video card and sound card...but apparently they were still there when i restarted lol..at least it boots up now lol

Thanks again  8-)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 08:03:10 AM »
Remove them one at a time and re-install them...use both Add/Remove and Device Manager to do so.
Doing more than one confuses Windows and we all know Windows is confused enough...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "