Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing SATA hard drive into IDE computer  (Read 2884 times)

aiott

Installing SATA hard drive into IDE computer
« on: February 07, 2007, 03:39:25 PM »
I wanted to replace my 10 GB hard drive with something bigger and following a friend's advice, I purchased a 160GB hard drive which I found out later was a SATA and I have IDE connections.  I contacted TigerDirect and they sent me the card and cables to connect the device.  I followed the FAQ and found the drive as unallocated.  How do I get this drive up and working and then use it as my primary drive (I have the XP Professional disk)?  I am a novice computer tech and need some assistance in this area.

Thanks in advance.

Allen

GX1_Man

Re: Installing SATA hard drive into IDE computer
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 04:18:37 PM »
First you will need the driver disk (or CD). Then boot the machine with the XP CD in the drive and have that disk handy and press F6 when asked and insert it.

aiott

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 03:26:04 AM »
Okay, I put the XP CD disk n and booted the machine. I pressed the F6 prompt when asked and the "s" but the computer is looking for the a drive and ignoring thne cd driver with the driver cd. What do I need to do now?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 03:53:42 AM »
o you have an A drive? Can you copythe file to it? Can you not redirect the search if not?

aiott

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 05:32:39 AM »
How do you redirect the search? Do I need to change my bios? I will try to copy the disk to a floppy but it may not fit.

aiott

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:50:20 PM »
I was able to locate the files on a floppy disk and re-booted the machine and pressed f6 and the computer stated that it saw the driver. But the XP program contined and I cannot tell if the SATA drive is there and what to do next.  I did not get any indication from the system that it detected the drive.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 06:59:55 PM »
You won't get an acknowledgement...setup will just continue.
You'll know in about 22 minutes if it worked when it boots into a brand new install of XP on your brand new SATA drive.

Good Luck.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aiott

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 03:31:50 AM »
I checkec hardware installed on the control panel and I see 2 things:ST310212A and ST316081 2AS SCSI Disk Device. I take it that the second item above is the device. How do I know that the XP is loaded on this drive and how do I make this my primary drive and start to use it instead of the 10 GB? I went into Disk Management and it shows on the top C: drive 9.53GB and on the bottom two disks:
Disk 0 (C:) 9.53GB
Disk 1 149.05GB unallocated

aiott

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 04:04:16 PM »
Per the information on my previous post, it appears that I have another drive on my computer.  How do I get this up and make it my primary drive?  Thanks for the help so far.