Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: game crashes  (Read 2443 times)

RWchristian71

game crashes
« on: February 13, 2007, 05:34:11 PM »
hello and thanks to anyone who can help me. i recently built a gaming computer for playing some high end games but to tink around with as well. everything on the computer works fine except that it gradually will decrease its performance and increase its errors even if nothing is done to it. i will eventually completely reformat the harddrive using the windows XP disk and everything will be fine. after reintalling everything the compuuter works without a hitch for about a month. then programs start crashing. restarrting the computer fixes them for a while but they start to happen more and more frequently. it has gotten to the point now where things are working fine except my games which will always shut down while loading maps. no errors message or anything. i have run diagnostic programs and have manually checked many things but nothing seems to make a difference. any ideas will help. thanks alot again.
-Paul

GX1_Man

Re: game crashes
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 05:43:49 PM »
Perhaps some specifics about the machine would be helpful?

RWchristian71

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 10:00:10 PM »
sorry about that. i was in a rush to get out of work ::). i have a 2.4 ghz intel penium 4 R. i bought the motherboard and chassis from a gaming internet cafe that went out of business so the specific motherboard model isn't known. i got a creative SB X-Fi sound card with a ATI catalyst 512MB graphics card. i also got 2BG 400 RAM maker unknown(sorry cant remember). my operating system is windows XP home edition, not an upgrade. the game im trying to play is battlefield 2 but now the original isn't wrong either. my suspicion is that it isnt related to the game. when i turned my computer on tonight my task manager started to crash with an error message and my Firefox is as well. i did get a report back from windows after i send them an error report and their best guess was a problem with the RAM. everything ive done has indicated that its working properly. i hope this is enough and im sorry i couldn't get the mother board specifics. thanks for any help
-Paul

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 04:05:07 AM »
Try running Memtest on that RAM for a while to rule it out or point it out as the culprit.
Could be the RAM, could be heat, I suspect viruses.
What protection do you have?

ace1

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 04:23:33 AM »
I had same problem ;D...mine problems i ran into was ..

it drain my power supply and heated my boards... :-[

fix..bigger power and fans..also added a freeware program to help control fan speed ... 8-)

another fix...do to location of tower...i took my case of it... ::)
that help the most with keeping more air flow to boards while playing.. :D

hope this helps...

also you can allocate memory on your hard drive to work as ram...just go to systems...advance..virtural memory and set it yourself...you can max this out ..if have space on hard drive....that helped keep my graphics board cooler...

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 04:29:23 AM »
ace1 . . . it could he beat, I wouldn't rule it out.
But the fact that a format fixed it for a while leads me to suspect it's more likely to be malware.
Bigger fans do help with heat problems, as do more efficient or more numerous ones.
The programs to control fan speed don't work with all motherboards and fans, unfortunately.
Great for those it works with.
More air flow helps keep the components cooler, you're right there.
And allocating more virtual memory rarely helps, unless it's set very low.
Maxing it out is also, I think, not the best thing you can do.
I recommend setting it to about twice or 2.5 times your real RAM, and setting min. and max. paging file size to that value.
This prevents it getting fragmented whilst in use, and stops Windows sucking performance managing it all.
It's rarely used if you have 1Gb of RAM or more anyway, unless you run a lot of memory-hungry applications.
All this is beside the point though, unless it does turn out to be a heat or virtual memory problem.
An interesting contribution nonetheless, thanks for your input.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:29:54 AM by Calum »

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 05:32:35 AM »
    I recommend setting it to about twice or 2.5 times your real RAM

Good suggestions Callum. The quoted text is an old myth however. The more RAM you need, the less paging file required, yet this sytem results in large memory computers having riduclous amounts of paging file. In fact computers with 1+GB can survive with no paging file, but not recommended. I don't think the paging file is the problem here though.

Paul, some specifics on what exactly these error messages say could be helpful. You might be able to use the following tool to find out model names of your components:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
    « Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 05:32:45 AM by Neil »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 06:03:40 AM »
    It works up to a point though.
    It's rarely used if you have 1Gb of RAM or more anyway, unless you run a lot of memory-hungry applications.
    I sort of said that, but you're right, a paging file that size is unnecessary for PCs with lots of RAM.
    In that case, I recommend a smaller paging file, but you should still have one.
    I don't think the paging file is the problem either.
    In the meantime, the OP has been abducted by aliens.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 07:01:11 AM »
    I seriously doubt that a pagefile will let a GPU run cooler as stated above...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 07:06:52 AM »
    I've been thinking about that.
    I think it may do, if it was an IGP or a card with TC or HM, and then maybe it would use the paging file and less of its own memory, so it would possibly run cooler?
    Re-reading that, I doubt it would.
    It may do, but it's a long shot, so I would agree with you there, patio.

RWchristian71

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 01:36:20 PM »
    thanks for all the help guys. i know it isnt a heat problem because i have thermos stationed in variouse points around the computer and it doesnt ever get to a near critical heat. she runs as cool as my truck. the ram is sending the computer that it is working just fine. what type of ram check could i do to be 100% of it being  the problem or not? my virus protection is norton. i got it from my work aug last year and they gave it to me as part of a pretection to keep work related files on my home computer from being accessed or lost so id imagine that everything was pretty top notch. last night i did find a bus(cant remember specifically  off my head sorry) that wasnt disabled so i enabled it. havnt tried enything yet but is there a reason it might have self disabled it self becuase it might be the problem? if so how would i go about checking that? ill post the specific bus tonight. thanks
    -Paul
    « Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:38:10 PM by RWchristian71 »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 01:45:08 PM »
    Use Memtest to check your RAM.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 02:03:54 PM »
    My instructions on removal of the Norton virus:

DLoad  the tool below...

Norton Removal Tool

1) Use Add Remove Programs first and un-install Norton...
    2) From Windows Explorer search for any folders named Norton and Symantec and delete them...
    3) DLoad and install ERUNT and have it make a backup of your registry...
    4) Open regedit and type Norton in the search bar. Delete all entries it finds. F3 takes you to the next  instance of Norton. Continue til you have reached the end of the registry...
    5) Repeat the above process using Symantec instead in the search field. Delete any Symantec keys it finds...
    6) Now run the Norton Removal tool you DLoaded...
    7) Empty the recycle bin...
    8) Go to My Computer and right clik the C: drive and select Properties and run disk cleanup...
    9) Re-boot and run disk defrag....

There you're done !

See how easy Symantec makes it for you to dump their product ? ?

patio.   8-)

I would highly suggest AVG Free or Avast Free as replacements...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "