Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrade Problems  (Read 4273 times)

Ringofire2006

Upgrade Problems
« on: February 13, 2007, 08:36:13 PM »
Hello,
 A friend of mine upgraded my daughter's computer from Windows 98 SE to Windows XP Home Edition. Now when we try to get on the internet we get a popup saying that "Windows has found 55 corupted files and that we should download Registry Cleaner. Also shortly after signing onto the internet the computer just stops responding and we have to cut it off and start it again. Is there any way to uninstall the Windows Xp and go back to the Windows 98 SE ? I would greatly appreciate the halp and info. Thanks

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Upgrade Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 10:57:17 PM »
Yes, there normally is a way to go back to Windows 98, but lets leave that for a last resort.

It sounds more like you have a adware problem, since Windows doesent normally tell you to download any external programs from the internet.

Please see Antivirus and Spyware/adware

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    « Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 11:00:39 PM »
    A quick clarification: The reason Zylstra wants to leave that for last is because to go to an earlier Windows you'd have to reformat the drive and lose all data.

I second Zylstra: Microsoft will NEVER ask you to download something they didn't make. That may be corporate greed, but it's smart.
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 04:22:01 AM »
    Hello,
     [highlight]A friend of mine upgraded my daughter's computer from Windows 98 SE to Windows XP Home Edition[/highlight]. Now when we try to get on the internet we get a popup saying that "Windows has found 55 corupted files and that we should download Registry Cleaner. Also shortly after signing onto the internet the computer just stops responding and we have to cut it off and start it again. Is there any way to uninstall the Windows Xp and go back to the Windows 98 SE ? I would greatly appreciate the halp and info. Thanks

Was this upgrade from a legal XP CD that has not been used on another computer? Do you have the CD?

I agree that a good format and reinstall with either Windows version is the next step.

You obviously already have a spyware problem:

when we try to get on the internet we get a popup saying that "Windows has found 55 corupted files and that we should download Registry Cleaner.

What are you using for virus/spyware protection? Was this installed BEFORE this machine was connected to the internet in any way?
    « Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:34:05 AM by GX1_Man »

Ringofire2006

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 08:46:14 PM »
    Hey,
     I do not know if the Windows XP was Original or not but I do have the original Windows 98 Disk Full Version. I don't use a virus protection cause the computer is slow and it seems that a virus thing makes it slower. I know that it is converted to NTFS now. Is the a way to get it back to the Fat 32 ? The computer works great with the Xp untill you get onto the internet than it freezes up. I don't know what do you please any help would be greatly appreciated.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 03:45:57 AM »
    If you do not have the original XP CD, then we can conclude that is not legit.

You can format the drive and reinstall 98. Here is a guide.

http://www.windows98.windowsreinstall.com/

You will want to delete the NTFS partition, create a new partition and format it FAT32 during the install.

We can try to patch that XP, but if it is counterfeit you are going to have problems sooner or later.

You may want to try and clean up any malware infestations before making that decision.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149948530

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 06:10:09 AM »
    I don't use a virus protection cause the computer is slow and it seems that a virus thing makes it slower.

This is also not a good idea...DLoad and install AVG Free for that beast.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ringofire2006

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 06:19:12 AM »
     :) Thankyou for all of your help. I will try all of the suggestions and get back to you and let you know how everything is going.
                                                       Thanks Again  :)

Sgt._Stacker

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 07:42:44 AM »
    How could he rip the poor girl off... Microsoft doesn't really even support windows 98 anymore.. id say spend 500 dollars and get her a useful dell. but still this is an odd problem.. were did he get the windows XP from

M1CH431

Hopeful
    • DuffMan!!!
      « Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 08:51:21 AM »
      So are we concluding that Pop up was a virus? Just wondering because today when I booted up into XP I got a Pop up sort of like that that said I needed to install System Doctor. Could this possibly be a virus?

Edit:
      http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=possiblevirusgw2.png

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:24:26 AM by ConquerOnline »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 10:13:53 AM »
      The image is too small, I can't read it.

M1CH431

Hopeful
      • DuffMan!!!
        « Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 10:16:25 AM »
        One sec i'll resize.

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 04:01:04 PM »
        So are we concluding that Pop up was a virus? Just wondering because today when I booted up into XP I got a Pop up sort of like that that said I needed to install System Doctor. Could this possibly be a virus?

That is possible, but more likely is a spyware infestation.

Instead of hijacking a thread it is better to start your own as your situation may not be the same, and the solution may be different.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
          • Yes
          • Technology News and Information
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 09:29:41 PM »
        Hello,
         A friend of mine upgraded my daughter's computer from Windows 98 SE to Windows XP Home Edition. Now when we try to get on the internet we get a popup saying that "Windows has found 55 corupted files and that we should download Registry Cleaner. Also shortly after signing onto the internet the computer just stops responding and we have to cut it off and start it again.[highlight] Is there any way to uninstall the Windows Xp and go back to the Windows 98 SE ?[/highlight] I would greatly appreciate the halp and info. Thanks
        Firstly, I would like to say this:
        Your problem can almost 99.9% most likely be fixed without reinstalling Windows 98/XP
        It was recently that I finally got a chance to really start working with XP, but I know that older versions of Windows, there was an uninstaller in Windows to degrade your system back to its previous OS. This was under Add/Remove programs. However: The problem is either virus, spyware, or adware related. Once you have installed, please run a FULL SCAN, not just a system one, or a quick scan. Scan everything, no matter how long it takes. (Unless it goes for more than a day of course)

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 03:28:26 AM »
        [highlight] Is there any way to uninstall the Windows Xp and go back to the Windows 98 SE ?[/highlight] I would greatly appreciate the halp and info. Thanks
        Firstly, I would like to say this:
        Your problem can almost 99.9% most likely be fixed without reinstalling Windows 98/XP

If the drive was formatted during the install of XP (which we don't know) then it cannot be magically rolled back to Win98.