Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD Drive Not Detecting CDs  (Read 1837 times)

xarchofevilx

CD Drive Not Detecting CDs
« on: February 16, 2007, 09:46:16 PM »
Hey guys.

I insert a cd into the tray and close it. I hear whirring noises and see sparkly flashing lights. ...But nothing happens. I go into My Computer to the CD-RW Drive (E:) and open it, still nothing. No CD shows up. I don't remember when it first started, but it was a long time ago. I don't know how I got by without being able to use CDs.

It is an ATAPI CD-RW 52XMax

Computer Specs-

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1

COPCSTOP.com
Custom System
AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2000+
1.66GHz
224 MB of RAM

Also, this computer is not connected to the internet, so I don't know if I'll be able to download a new driver if that is the problem. (Using a laptop right now.)

It's not much information to go on, so please tell me specific things to add.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help. :)

Cheers,
Tekk

GX1_Man

Re: CD Drive Not Detecting CDs
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 08:01:47 AM »
The optics usually go LONG before the mechanics, which is why the drawer will open and close, but it doesn't work. In the absence of a history of damage to the drive, playing about in the BIOS, etc. then a replacement is in order. A new DVD burner is about $40 delivered.

Windows has all the drivers you need. You can try deleting the CDROM entry in Contol Panel/System and rebooting. If that doesn't fix it, then it is time to go shopping. There is a reason those drives have a one year warranty or less.  ;)

xarchofevilx

Re: CD Drive Not Detecting CDs
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 09:05:55 AM »
Couldn't get it to work so I'll just take your advice and get a new one. Thanks for your help GX1.   :)

Cheers,
Tekk