Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SYSTEM process running at 100%... why??  (Read 2483 times)

TombRaiderBC

SYSTEM process running at 100%... why??
« on: February 17, 2007, 08:44:51 PM »
I've got a 1.5 y/o PRESARIO running XP.  It crashed yesterday.  I had a techie visit today who booted up in safe mode... discovered the System process was running 100% of cpu for no apparent reason.  He couldn't resolve the problem, so I did a system restore after he left.  I'm now able to run in normal mode again.  However, the system process is still running at 100%.  

Also, my USB ports weren't functioning.  I started having some problems a few days ago but they didn't totally crap out until yesterday.  At the techies' suggestion, I unplugged the 2 front USB cables (the two rear are hardwired to the MB) and added a new USB card this evening and that seems to be working okay.  I was told the USB problem might have been due to a short circuit, but I'm not positive.

Anyway... what could be causing the system process to run at 100%?  Could it be related to the USB problem?  Or are these likely separate issues.

Thanks.

GX1_Man

Re: SYSTEM process running at 100%... why??
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 08:57:27 PM »
What are you running for virus and spyware protection? What are the processes using the CPU?

You probably have software as well as hardware problems.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 09:04:58 PM by GX1_Man »

TombRaiderBC

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 09:27:35 PM »
I was running Norton Antivirus.  It was updated before the crash but with the restore I'm back to the basic 2006 Version.  I tried updating this afternoon but the system pretty much dragged to a halt in the middle of the process.  The tech support guy found no evidence of a virus or anything else.  He suspected the OS had been corrupted... which is why I did the system restore.

I've got just a few startup programs running.  But those didn't seem to be accounting for the 100% system process.  Is there a way to identify what's driving that process?  It just shows up as a single process in task manager.

Other than the USB issue... what hardware problems might I be looking for?

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 09:28:08 PM by TombRaiderBC »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 09:34:39 PM »
I am not convinced that you are free from malware. Have a read here:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149948530

And then do this:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149558249

What processes are named? What are they?

TombRaiderBC

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 11:09:43 PM »
Thanks for the links... rather time consuming so I'll work on them tomorrow!  I'll post again when I know more.

:-?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 06:22:25 AM »
We'll leave the light on.  ;)