Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old harddrive in a new setup  (Read 1930 times)

pennysteve

Old harddrive in a new setup
« on: February 17, 2007, 10:51:04 PM »
I have recently purchased a new tower ( motherboard , processor. ram etc.) I cannot get my existing hard drive to run. I have a partition which contains mainly WIN XP PRO, I have formated this but still i cannot get XP to load. I have checked in BIOS and the hard drive is recognised. What do i need to do to set up XP again?    

GX1_Man

Re: Old harddrive in a new setup
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 10:59:48 PM »
What errors do you get?  Your post is confusing. If you formatted the drive then Windows is no longer there.

Be very specific about what you did, the equipment, error messages, etc. If you do not reload Windows again with the new motherboard and other hardware you will likely be unsuccessful. Do you have a real Windows CD?

pennysteve

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 11:37:06 PM »
I should have said set up XP not re load. After formating I tried to set up XP. This went through the checking hard drive and down loading necessary files for set up, but would not go beyond this point. No matter what i tried it wanted to check hard drive and down load necessary files again. I get no error messages.      

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 06:20:43 AM »
What model hard drive and how is it jumpered? You can get free diagnostics from the appropriate drive maker's site to test, and it is relatively fast. If the hardware is not functioning then Windows is irrelevant, so we need to rule that out first.