Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Clicking Noise at Start up  (Read 4124 times)

Thomas Riley

Clicking Noise at Start up
« on: October 10, 2004, 11:22:34 AM »
Hi guys!  I did a search on computer help and found this website.  I hope you can help me.  I tried to install a math program on my computer and my computer locked up.  I tried to reboot it back up and it would go to the startup in safe mode section.  /When I would try to start up in safe mode I would hear a clicking noise coming from the inside of my computer.  I then tried a restoration disk useing the portion that states delete windows and reinstall.  Still nothing.  It goes into restoration so far and I get the clicking noise again.  Can anybody help me?

Raptor

Re: Clicking Noise at Start up
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 01:37:10 PM »
Where does this clicking noise originate from?

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 02:27:36 PM »
How old is your system..and what operating system is used?

shield

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 08:17:52 PM »
maybe there is a wire stuck in your fan :P

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 11:12:43 PM »
Or something not quite alive anymore.  ;D

Thomas Riley

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 12:02:41 PM »
My system is four years old.  I have windows ME.  When I turn my computer on it goes to the  safe start up screen.  It then goes to a blank screen with a blinking cursor.  I deleted my windows files when I was trying to use the system restoration disk.  After I load the disk right before it goes into restoration I hear the clicking noise.  It seems to be coming from inside the computer arounf the cd rom although I couldn't be certain.  Thanks a lot for all your help.

Thom Riley

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 01:19:52 PM »
Is it not your Hard Disk Drive or a fan?

Thom Riley

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 02:48:00 PM »
Do you mean that my hard drive is toast?  Why can't I get to windows or at least why wont my system restoration disk run.   Once it starts running I get the clicking noise.  Thanks for the help.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 05:30:10 PM »
...After I load the disk right before it goes into restoration I hear the clicking noise.  It seems to be coming from inside the computer arounf the cd rom ...

It sounds like the CDROM is trying to read the CD.  Try booting from a boot floppy disk and then try to restore from the CD.  Search this website for info on booting.  Start with this:  http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 01:23:13 PM »
What is the make of your hard drive...