Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Office 2000 wont start!!!  (Read 3430 times)

cam_s1

Microsoft Office 2000 wont start!!!
« on: February 19, 2007, 09:49:16 PM »
I was looking around with TweakUI on my Windows 98 SE computer.
I clicked onto the Add/Remove tab.
Tweak UI allows you to remove entries from the Add\Remove list in the control panel.

So I'm thinkin - i wont be uninstalling Microsoft Office 2000, so i removed it from the list.
And now every time I start up my computer (start up folder contains ms office) or try to open word, excel, outlook, etc. it comes up with the following message:

"This application must be installed to run. Please run Setup from the location where you originally installed the application. "

Helpful Links:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269276
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298829
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302846

Note: I dont have the cd-rom which office was installed from. It came pre-installed on the computer.

Is there something i can type in the start>run menu such as rundll or regsvr, etc. so i can use office again?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 09:50:19 PM by cam_s1 »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Microsoft Office 2000 wont start!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:55:35 AM »
Are you absolutely sure that's the way TweakUI was supposed to work?  Can cite a reference confirming that?  I think your Office 2000 has been uninstalled.  So, if you want to have Office 2000, I suggest you head for ebay.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 05:20:08 PM »
I think you hosed it also. Powerful utilities should not be played with if you don't know what you are doing. Windows 98 has no system restore, so no luck there either.

cam_s1

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:26:43 PM »
Are you absolutely sure that's the way TweakUI was supposed to work?  Can cite a reference confirming that?  I think your Office 2000 has been uninstalled.  So, if you want to have Office 2000, I suggest you head for ebay.

No, office hasnt been uninstalled. All the program files are still there. All tweakUI does is remove part of the registry so that the program doesnt show in the list of add/remove programs in the control panel.

Using tweakUI, once you select the program and click remove it says:
"You will not be able to uninstall this program if you remove it from the add/remove list.
Remove the entry anyway?"

There is one way which I might be able to solve this problem. Along with the Remove button in the add/remove tab in TweakUI, there are also New and Edit buttons.

Could someone using microsoft office 2000 (and windows 98, 95, NT, ME or 2000) install tweakUI, click on the add/remove tab, highlight Microsoft Office 2000 and click edit. It will come up with an option to edit the name and the uninstall action of that program. Then copy and paste the action of MS office 2000 into this forum.

I could then use that and click on new in the add/remove tab and create a new entry. Chances of it actually working... i would say 50%.

Download TweakUI:
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp
Direct Link:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/winme/Install/1.0/WinMe/EN-US/Tweakui.exe
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:32:47 PM by cam_s1 »

mundesley

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 07:19:05 AM »
Have you tried opening a command prompt and typing scanreg /restore this will give you some earlier backups of your registry, if there choose a date prior to your efforts with TweakUI and hopefully all will be well again.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 07:38:51 AM »
Can you start Word by finding your WINWORD.EXE (or maybe it's just Word.exe for Office 2000) and double clicking on it?  Likewise, for Excel; that is, find EXCEL.EXE and double click on it.

cam_s1

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 09:16:08 PM »
Can you start Word by finding your WINWORD.EXE (or maybe it's just Word.exe for Office 2000) and double clicking on it?  Likewise, for Excel; that is, find EXCEL.EXE and double click on it.

nope, tried that and it just comes up with the same message

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 09:38:41 PM »
I have looked at TweakUI since your original post and I agree it's supposed to do what you say about removing items from the Add or Remove Programs list without actually removing the program.  But, the fact is your program now does not work.  So, whatever you did with TweakUI, or something else you did but haven't mentioned or simply aren't aware of, has made Office 2000 inoperable, and I think the only way you're going to get it back is to buy the program.  

rockerest

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 09:41:40 PM »
Nope, soybean.

The registry keys that put a program in the add/remove dialog are the same ones that tell the executables that the program is correctly installed.  Everything is still there except those keys.  cam_s1 had a decent idea.

-rock
In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

cam_s1

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 11:40:19 PM »
Have you tried opening a command prompt and typing scanreg /restore this will give you some earlier backups of your registry, if there choose a date prior to your efforts with TweakUI and hopefully all will be well again.

oh yeah... why didn't i think of that in the first place??
my problem is now solved
thanks guys

soybean

Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 10:18:47 AM »
Did that restore Office 2000 to the Add or Remove Programs list?

cam_s1

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 09:43:29 PM »
Did that restore Office 2000 to the Add or Remove Programs list?

yep, it sure did;
and many other programs came back which i had already uninstalled from the computer... oh well, guess its back to tweakUI. Lol

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
TweakUI is a wonderful and dangerous tool...Have Fun !
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "