Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Disk Cannot read  (Read 2209 times)

jorker

Hard Disk Cannot read
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:55:35 PM »
I just got a new computer, The mobo has 1 SATA and 2 IDE slot.

Following the recommendation of the shopkeeper, i bought another IDE controller card. So i used the SATA as my primary hard disk to install OS and the original 2 IDE from the mobo as my 2 dvd-rom drive. The extra IDE controller card i used to connect my 2 old hard disks.

After install my Window XP into my new hard disk(120GB connect to SATA cable), I cannot see my 2 old hard disks in "my computer"(40GB and 13GB connect to IDE controller card using PCI from mobo).
During booting up, i can see that 2 hard disks but cannot see from my computer or access to the file inside. I tried to take out the card reconnect all the cable but still no use. I tried to use array and array them together but i don know whether am i doing the right thing or not.

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    Re: Hard Disk Cannot read
    « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:12:52 AM »
    Have you checked the jumpers on each IDE drive if they are both slave or both Master they will not be seen, in other words one Master and one Slave on each IDE cable even on the pci card you have installed.
     The Sata will be seen because of the mbr as the system drive and they do not have the jumper problem.
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

jorker

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 03:51:44 AM »
    ok now i manage to read them but i did one very stupid thing and that is to format my old hard disk where my valuable photo were...

can anyone tell me where to download any good FREE software to recover the lost fileS??

or at least allow me to see what are those file that i can recover before i go to have a professional to fix cause having him to test also cost money and it not worth it when in the end he  tell you he cant retrieve any or just those unnecessary file and cost $$....

GX1_Man

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
      « Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 05:52:49 AM »
      try this for a free tool there is one for pictures but it really all depends on how much they are damaged, unfortunately jpeg for example are a form of compressed file and due to the coding it is often difficult to recovy but if the tool is free it is worth the time. the big thing is patience dont rush to reformat or reinstall anything on the drive until you are sure you have run out of options.
      http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
      Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.