Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC Speaker?  (Read 2256 times)

JediWill

PC Speaker?
« on: February 24, 2007, 09:41:18 PM »
Ok, my name says it all.....No Skills, so I need some help.  I looked through the forums and didn't see this anywhere.

I purchased a collection of DOS based games and in the install guide it states:

You will be asked to select the sound card for music.  Note that many current model mulitimedia PCs no longer include a PC speaker (using external speakers instead).  If your computer does not have a PC speaker you will not be able to hear the sounds or music in the game.

My question is this:  Is there a way to get the sounds even using external speakers?  How do you know if a computer has a "PC speaker"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
    • Yes
    • JSPCRepair
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: PC Speaker?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 10:00:38 PM »
Try playing one of the games. I didn't know this but my motherboard has a built in speaker, I played the original doom and I heard all the beeps. Maybe yours has one too.
Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

JediWill

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 12:41:48 PM »
Nuts...no such luck.  Any other ideas or advice?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 01:58:53 PM »
Yes.
You need to go to the manuf. site of your sound card and DLoad and install native DOS drivers for the card...if they do not have them available then you are pretty much out of luck unless you use a third party DOS sound emulater...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JediWill

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 02:09:32 PM »
Well didn't find any drivers.  I'm looking at something called Dosbox though....it sounds like it might work.  Hope I can figure it out.

Thanks for your suggestions

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 03:34:56 PM »
Older DOS game players can be a rather lively bunch of fanatics...try googling each game for Forums and join in asking for drivers for your card...you might be pleasantly surprised.

By the way...Welcome to Computer Hope ! !
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 03:36:15 PM by patio »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "